Good news and bad news

"How did you sleep?" said Cara as on waking she saw Trent stirring.

He smiled at her, a big, smile. "Wonderful! I think you had something to do with that."

Cara was already up and out of the bed and she glanced back at Trent.

"Come," he said, beckoning her with his hand to come to him.

Cara well knew what was on his mind but she was distracted by another thought. In fact she was at the very moment quickly putting on her clothes. "I must go and see our babies, Trent. I must see that they are OK. I will go to them now and if all is well I'll come right back to you."

Trent had since their children's birth known that they were never far from Cara's mind. He supposed it was the maternal instinct that women feel. Trent had little doubt that they would be fine. After all, they were only a few doors away, and Heidi was quite used to children and to nursing them. He rose from the bed, got something from the cupboard to freshen his breath and waited for her return. She wasn't long.

"I take that Kirah and Brendan are fine?" he asked.

"Yes, yes, they are OK though if it were me I would do things a little differently with them. But yes, Heidi certainly knows how to nurse and care for them."

"Then come," he said, opening his arms to her. "We need to make the most of our time alone together."

Cara smiled at him. She knew what he had in mind.

* * *

It was late when they appeared in the great hall for breakfast. Daniel was leaving as they entered. "Did you hear the news?"

"No, what?" Answered Trent.

"Cara's family is on their way here."

Cara clasped her hands for joy. "Really? That is wonderful news."

"Yes. I heard it is your father, brother and sister, all coming. They may be here tomorrow."

Cara was ecstatic. She looked at Trent and hugged him, telling him, "I so want to see my family. They will be so happy when they see Kirah and Brendan."

* * *

Cara waited eagerly with anticipation. Already, the castle perimeter guard had forwarded news that they were near. She went with Trent to the gate to welcome them. When they appeared at last and the gate was raised she ran with speed toward her father. "Father, father, it is so good to see you!"

"Ah, yes, beloved Cara. Let me dismount." He did and they embraced.

"Welcome, my father. You are looking wonderful. The trip went well?"

"Fairly well, though we did run into some unexpected trouble. A large band of outlaws I suspect. We were alerted and prepared ourselves in case of attack but fortunately they thought better than to engage us in battle. But you, my daughter. You, the mother of twins! That is the most exciting news. I cannot wait to see them."

"What about me?" spoke her sister Evie, just now dismounting from her horse.

Cara turned from her father toward Evie. "Ah, Evie, it is wonderful to see you." They shared a close embrace. "My, you are surely looking so grown up, Evie. We must talk. You must tell me about everything you have been doing."