Joy, and an Omen

Trent wasn't at all convinced that Evie and Richard were old enough or that they had waited long enough. Cara couldn't quite understand his point of view. To her, Trent seemed to think that he and she had a special relationship, one that wasn't necessarily shared by others. Yet he liked Evie and Richard and enjoyed their company when Cara and he were with friends and they were included.

But Cara was able to talk to her husband. She spoke with him in favor of Evie's marriage. Of course, she had also talked with Evie and she felt that her sister's love for Richard was no ephemeral thing that wouldn't last in difficult times. Cara knew her sister well. She knew how, unlike herself, she had an excitable, bubbly nature who was fun to be around most of the time. Yet when she was down, she tended to be brought low until her usual positive attitude again came to the fore.

One thing Cara could definitely see was that Richard had made a difference in her. She was a more balanced person, maybe more thoughtful, and definitely happier. Cara was so glad for Evie that in knowing Richard she seemed a bit more thoughtful, not quite as flighty, and almost always in good spirits.

Of course, she told all these things to Trent, hoping that he would see things the way she did. She was glad that in the end Trent trusted her opinion and at last saw that it was time for the marriage to go forward. What was especially exciting to Cara and a cause for rejoicing in the kingdom, especially in her circle of friends, was that Justin and Gianna were also going to be married.

Cara was happy for them. Justin, who had risen from a stable boy to a royal knight, and Gianna who was a princess in her own land before it was overtaken by Magyars and she was fortunate to flee and to come to Bavaria.

* * *

It was later that same night that Cara made her way to Evie's apartment. She had to tell her the good news. She knocked on her door, in her special way of knocking so Evie would know it was her.

Evie opened the door almost immediately. At first, to Cara she seemed tired, not surprising as it was later than usual for visiting.

"Oh, Cara, I've been reading, almost falling asleep, but it's good to see you."

"Well, dear sister, I've got news for you. I've been talking with Trent and was able to convince him that you and Richard are ready for marriage."

"How wonderful!" she said, wrapping her arms around Cara in a huge embrace. That makes me so happy. I can't wait to tell Richard."

"The only thing is he wants you to wait the usual time for the bans to be posted on the cathedral door. And then, he would like it if you would wait just a little longer, only two weeks, so that we all can celebrate your wedding at the same time as Justin and Gianna's. A magnificent double royal wedding!"

Cara waited for Evie's reply, hoping that a slight additional delay would not be hard for her to accept. Evie had her head down, thinking. Then she looked up. "Really Cara, it is not that much longer. And as I think of it, it would be good to share this special experience with Justin and Gianna. I will talk to Richard. I think he will agree. I'm curious, Cara. Did it take much for you to convince Trent to agree to our wedding?"

"Well, in a way, yes. I've come to think that men don't think the way we do. I mean, it's was like he had some foreboding that things could go wrong for one reason or another. At times he seems overcautious to me and doesn't want to make a decision to go forward. But I told him how I see your knowing Richard has made you happier, more thoughtful and even more grown up. I told him that, and at last he was able to see it too."

"My dear sister, I'm so glad you were able to make him understand. To be honest, there are times when even Richard says things that I too don't know where he is coming from. But he does listen to me, a mere woman as some would say, and sometimes I am able to make him see things that he may have missed. But Cara, I would follow him anywhere because I know him to be a good man. I trust him with my life."

This time it was Cara who came to embrace her sister. "Evie, it so wonderful that you and I can talk together woman to woman. I have really enjoyed that we have been able to talk and share while you have been here in Bavaria. I will miss you greatly when you return with Richard to his father's kingdom."

"I will miss you too, my dear sister. But Richard and I will visit you when the weather is nice. I hope you and Trent will also visit us."

"Oh, yes, we will. It's a bit harder now with the children still so young, but I am already thinking of next spring."

* * *

The banns of marriage were duly posted on the door of the Cathedral as had always been the case for a marriage, especially a royal one. Activity in the castle was rising as the time drew closer. So much to consider, including necessary trips to the dressmaker to select the niceties of elegance, style and fit of two beautiful wedding gowns. Royal etiquette required as much and for Gianna, a former princess who was used to fine garments, the style and fit were important. Cara was glad to see that her sister wasn't nearly as fussy about these things, seeing her to be more pragmatic and not nearly as much interested in the pomp and circumstances of her wedding. As Evie told her, "I just want to love Richard and be his wife."

Cara was also well acquainted with Justin, almost from the days of her youth. To her, he seemed solicitious of Gianna's desires because he cared for her, but she suspected the trappings of royalty meant little for him. In fact, he mentioned to her once in passing that "Gianna wants everything to be perfect." Cara noted he said it with a smile.

* * *

The time was drawing close for the two royal weddings. Every detail for the double nuptials seemed to be in place. Then, Trent mentioned something disturbing to Cara one evening as they were having a quiet dinner together. He told her that the sentinels monitoring movements on the northeast border had observed a buildup of enemy troops. "It could mean danger," he told her.

Trent's quiet words suddenly struck fear in Cara's heart. "Trent, you don't think. . . ?" Her words were left unspoken.

"I don't know, Cara. It is too soon to tell."