Invitation from the prince

The next day Cara was still thinking of Justin. She was also thinking about the prince and even about the count. She wished she didn't have so much on her mind. There was one piece of good news—now, people were once again allowed to leave the walls of the manor. She and Evie were going to ride!

The two of them hurried to the stable, where they saw Justin's young assistant, but not him. Cara had to think which one her horses she would take today. The animals were her joy. In fact, she owned five of them. When Evie came, she would ride one, and then Cara would decide between the other four. She decided on Dancing Maiden, who though not her fastest horse, was her favorite. The big animal seemed to love her, and Cara often talked to her when she was on the trail away from the manor. Today, she brought her bow and quiver of arrows. She needed practice, especially if the Magyars should attack. Evie, too, carried her bow and arrows mounted across her back.

They set out together, heading to the open place within the forest with the best trees for practicing her aim. She was glad her father had acquiesced to her desire to become proficient with the bow. She knew he would never let her learn sword fighting skills. He felt it was unladylike, and far too dangerous. However, after some cajoling on her part, he finally gave in. As she told him, archers can fight with relative safety from within the fortress, sending deadly arrows down on the enemy during an attack.

Of course, Evie didn't have to fight like she did for the privilege. Since her father had allowed one daughter to learn the skill, he had to let his second. Evie loved the sport, and Cara could see that one day she might achieve proficiency on a par with her own. Not yet, however. Already, Cara's own trainer had left her, no doubt realizing that his pupil had surpassed him.

Once at their chosen place, Cara pointed to a tree on the edge of the clearing. It was at a good distance from them, forty or fifty meters. "See where the limb has broken off leaving the splintered wood white against the trunk? Let's shoot there." They both dismounted, and assumed their positions. "You go first," said Cara. "Not too hard, though, or we'll have a tough time removing the arrows."

Standing straight, with her legs apart, Evie drew her bow, aimed, and fired. The arrow hit the spot, though low from the center.

"Good," said Cara, before taking her position, aiming, and releasing. Her arrow also hit the target, closer to the middle, about three inches above the one of her sister. They continued shooting several more until both heard horses coming from the direction of the manor. They waited briefly, and two men on horseback appeared. Cara immediately recognized the prince, though the other man she didn't know.

"Greetings, ladies," said Prince Trent. "This is Daniel, my trusted adviser and friend. Cara, who is the girl?"

"My sister, Evie."

Evie stood tall, emphasizing as much as possible her grown up status.

The prince looked ahead, to where they had been sending their arrows. "Did you shoot those arrows there from this distance" he asked.

"Yes, my lord," Cara answered. "Arrows shot by my sister as well."

"Remarkable."

"Yes, well done," said Daniel. "I would find it not easy to match your accuracy." He looked out at where they stuck in the tree. "Particularly those that are close to the middle. I presume that is where you were aiming."

"Yes, sire," Cara answered, seeing the fine knit of his clothes and the insignia on his cape."

Daniel looked at Prince Trent and smiled. If he was not a noble he didn't say so.