What she feels for him

Cara and Gianna breakfasted together, but neither Trent or Justin appeared. Apparently the meeting of the knights was a long one. Not surprising, as there was much for them to consider. Now, they became aware of a new thing happening in the nearby forest. The sound of saws cutting wood. What could that mean? Cara asked the question of an elderly courtier. He looked at her, eyes betraying fear. "They're making ladders to scale the walls!"

Cara looked wide eyed at Gianna. "They tried to do that at our kingdom," said Gianna. We turned them back with boiling oil, water and whatever else we could throw on them."

"Really? Then how did they get in?"

"A traitor!" she answered, shaking her head in anger at the thought.

"I'm sorry. But throwing hot liquids on them, that is a great idea. We can do that, can't we, Gianna?"

"Yes, if they let us."

Cara considered. Would Trent? Somehow she didn't think so. Was it his male pride? She could tell him that with women helping it would let the knights and able bodied men focus on fighting.

"I think we could get the women to help," said Gianna.

They made their way to the operations room. The scene was terrible, with the doctors doing surgery, the nuns bandaging, and women of the wounded helping in any way they could. Cara was glad the women had volunteered to help the overwhelmed doctors and nuns, and as part of her plan she eyed the suits of armor piled up in an adjoining room. She found one of smaller size, more her size, and motioned for Gianna to choose one for herself. They were heavier than she would have thought.

They also found the cache of arrows, and secretly they helped themselves to plenty, hiding them in a roll of bedding and taking them to their apartments. Cara lay on her bed, thinking. She wanted to enlist women to throw hot liquids on the enemy if they attacked the walls, but still was unsure if she would be able to because Trent might be against it. She thought of his father. She felt the king liked her, but she was unsure about the queen. She decided to take a chance and go to the royal quarters.

Two armed guards stood in front of their door. Of course, by this time they knew she was to be the wife of their son so she had no trouble gaining admittance. One of the guards escorted her in and announced her presence. She saw the king first, who wandered in from an adjacent room.

"Ah, Cara, it is good to see you, though these are terrible times."

Cara curtsied and then took a good look at him. He seemed frail, though genuinely friendly to her. "Yes, your lordship, though I feel confidence our knights can withstand their attack.

The king stood, holding himself up by putting one hand on the back of a sofa. "Let us sit down, Cara. Tell me how you happened to visit. I know you always have a lot on your mind."

Cara took a seat across from him. She smiled at him. "Yes, your Excellency. I'm sure you know that the Magyars are building ladders and maybe even siege machines." She hesitated before saying more.

"Yes, I know. It is a major concern."

Cara lowered her head toward the king and speaking almost confidentially said, "I have an idea. Actually it is something Gianna told me they did in her kingdom."

The king leaned a little in her direction and said, "What is it, Cara."

"If they try to scale the walls, throw boiling water, oil or anything caustic on them." Now that she had said it, Cara watched to see how the king would take the idea.

"What is that?" asked the queen, just now entering the room. To Cara, she had a sharp look, as if she had maybe heard and didn't like the idea."

The king looked at his wife and said, "Cara is suggesting that if they attempt to scale the walls we might discourage them with hot liquids."

The queen took a seat on a nearby chair. "And from where did you get that idea, Cara?"

Cara sensed that the queen wasn't overly impressed. "From Gianna. They did that in her kingdom against attackers."

The king seemed to be thinking it over. Then he said, "I like the idea, but those manning barrels and buckets would not be able to strike at the enemy. Our effective manpower defending the walls might be compromised."

"Women could do it," said Cara quickly. "That would free men to fight and it might make a big difference in the battle."

"I don't know about that," said the queen. Women have children and raise them. Participating in a war is not right!"

The king looked at his wife and turned back to Cara. "Did women actually do that in her kingdom?"

"Yes, sire." Cara was careful not to say more.

The king again looked at his wife saying, "If women could do it there, I don't see why they can't help in that way here. As I see it, their help could give us a decided advantage."

"My Lord," answered the queen. "I don't think we should put women in that kind of danger. Besides, what women would be good at swinging hot buckets of liquid?"

The king looked at Cara, with a question in his eyes."

"I have done it myself, my Lord. Ours is not a wealthy kingdom. I have even washed clothing."

"Then, let it be. Go ahead and recruit any women who are willing. You have my blessing."

Cara left after bowing to both the king and the queen.

Hours later, as the sun was drifting lower in the sky, she and Gianna were on the high balcony armed with their bows and a great number of arrows.

By now, they had become good friends. They would be ready to unleash their arrows when the enemy attacked. But now they were in waiting. Having eaten, there was little else they could do except sit down on the comfortable chairs on the high balcony and wait for the battle to resume. Already, Cara and Gianna had enlisted a good number of women willing to pour boiling liquids on the enemy.

They were both sitting back on the comfortable chairs when Gianna said to her. "You have known Justin for a long time. He must have cared for you, despite being only a stable boy. I mean for him to risk his life to rescue you. Did you have any feeling for him?"

Carina thought to herself, here she is again, speaking of Justin. "Gianna, to be honest with you, I did have some feeling for him.

"What if you had not been a Lord's daughter? Would you. . . ."

Cara interrupted her, "Would I have married him? It is likely. There is a certain magic about him that I can't explain."

"But now, you are happy to marry the prince?"

"Of course. Who wouldn't be? He is handsome, thoughtful, and not puffed up like someone else who with his wealth and looks might be. Besides, I like him."

"I'm glad," Gianna said confidentially. "Because I like Justin."

Oh, yes, two women who know what they want. If only it was easy.

���$