A wedding preparation surprise

Wedding preparations were in full swing and Cara was glad to be part of it. With her sister getting married and her dear friend, Gianna, she, as well as they had much to get ready for. Besides that, she was so looking forward to the arrival of her father and brother and the knights accompanying them. It seemed a long time since she had seen these people who remained so special to her.

As the days drew closer to when they would make their marriage vows, Cara saw more of both Evie and Gianna. They popped in to get her thoughts on many things, the garments they would choose for the momentous occasion, the accessories, and even thoughts of their upcoming marriage. To Evie, Cara was the older sister who had been through it all, marriage, children, and especially living with a man.

What could Cara tell her about that except general things. After all, she knew each man is different. The life she shared with Trent was very good, but even with him there had been times of disagreement.

"Living with a man," she told Evie, " is much different than living on your own. Even when you think you know a man through having been a part of his life for a time it is different when you actually live with him in the same house."

"But how so?" Evie asked, in all curiosity.

"You love Richard and he loves you. "But," Cara continued, "love is not something one can do twenty-four hours a day. Maybe at first, when you are in the honeymoon stage. Yes, maybe then. But in time I think you work out a relationship with your man. You come to understand that he does things his way and you do things your way. Evie, even though married you are two different people and sometimes you will be surprised at the differences between you and your husband."

"But Cara, you and Trent seem happy. Aren't you?"

"Oh, yes, Evie, I am very happy to be married to Trent. It is just that you have to understand that getting used to another person's ways does take a little time. It's not automatic. You will need to tell him what you are thinking and hopefully he will do the same. Still, sometimes your guy will surprise you. At least I can say that Trent has surprised me many times. The thing is, love will carry you through."

Evie shook her head. "I do love Richard and I know he loves me."

Cara gave Evie a quick hug. "Evie, that's what really matters. Everything else the two of you can work out."

* * *

As much as Cara was looking forward to the two weddings, she was just as much awaiting the arrival of her father and brother. Finally, they came, along with a troop of knights. Somehow, in the midst of her busy life of caring for the twins and helping to make wedding plans, she did not realize her father had arrived until he was at her door.

"Father!" she said as he stepped inside, followed by Gilbert, her brother. Her father enfolded her in his arms the way he always did and after he released her she went immediately to her brother to give him a hug.

"It is so good to see you. I had hoped to be able to tell when you would be near but you surprised me.

"We made good time," her father answered. "But where are those two darling children of yours? Out with a sitter?"

"Oh, no, they are down for their naps but should be up at any moment. You came at a good time. Wait, I think I hear Kirah now." She left to go to their bedroom. Turning back toward them she added, "Usually when one starts to waken the other is quick to open his or her eyes too."

She popped her head into their room, and then motioned to her father and brother to come. As they entered, little Kirah was just getting up and now was standing in her crib, arms outstretched toward her mother. Cara lifted her up and held her, the girl safe in her mother's arms looking at the older man she scarcely remembered. "It's your grandpa, Kirah. Don't you remember him?"

Kirah seemed unsure. Cara could see that Brendan was also just getting up. She took her daughter into the next room, laid her down and went for Brendan. She and her father sat on the divan and Gilbert took a seat next to them. "Will she let me hold her?" asked her father.

"Don't know. Maybe." Cara lifted Kirah up and gently placed her in the waiting arms of her father who sat on the other side of the sofa. The girl looked back at her mother with what seemed a bit of uncertainty but didn't cry.

"That's my little girl," said her father, his white beard just touching Kirah's head as she lay in his arms. "My, aren't you a pretty one."

"Could I try holding Brendan?" asked Gilbert.

"Sure. Why don't you move over here to the sofa and I'll hand him to you."

There was a quick knock on the door and in popped Evie. "Oh, father, brother, I didn't know you had arrived."She bent down to quickly give each of them a kiss on the cheek. "How wonderful to see you."

"Yes," her father answered, looking up from the sofa where he carefully was holding Kirah. "We are looking forward to celebrating with you on your special day. That is a beautiful gown you are wearing, Evie."

"Thank you, father. I was just coming to show it to Cara. It's one I'm considering wearing for my wedding.

Just then, there was another quick knock on the door and in came Gianna.

Cara rose to greet her, and still near the doorway Gianna said, "Oh, Cara, I didn't know you had company."

"Come in, Gianna. It's my father and brother, just arrived from our kingdom." Cara eyed what Gianna was wearing. "This one, I really like. Come on, come," she told Gianna. "You should meet my father and brother."

They went further into the suite, and Cara said to the men, "This is my good friend, Gianna. She is getting married the same day as Evie. In fact, to a man that you know. To Justin. Remember, Justin was in charge of our stables. Now, he is a royal knight after having saved me and Gina when we were captured by the Magyars. Gianna, this is my father and my brother, Gilbert."

Introductions were made and for a short time they talked. Cara had given both her brother and father a cookie for Kirah and Brendan and the children were both content while they munched on the cookies. Then Cara announced brightly, "Father, Gilbert, Evie and Gianna both happened to come by to show me their latest choice of a wedding gown. Dont' you think they both so attractive? Girls, stand up and let the men see your beautiful gowns."

With only a bit of reluctance they did so, turning so that the men could see them from different angles. Cara noticed not only their exquisite gowns, but the big difference in their figures. Evie had always been slender, almost boy like but Cara had never noticed it so much except now in comparison to Gianna. Gianna in contrast was quite curvaceous. What could the men say except, "Beautiful, charming."

Cara noticed that her father seemed a bit uncomfortable in accessing the quality of wedding gowns. Then he said to them, "I have seen my two beautiful daughters leave me to go to other kingdoms. I'm at peace with that, it is the way things are in these times. But I have an announcement to make. That is unless you would rather, Gilbert."

All eyes turned to Gilbert. He nodded, saying, "You tell them, father."

"Well, there will be a fine and beautiful young woman coming to our kingdom. I have had the honor of meeting her more than once. Her name is Regina. She will be coming in August for a royal wedding."

All eyes turned to Gilbert. "Gilbert, I didn't think you would ever marry," said Evie.

"Well I'm sure not marrying as a child, like you," Gilbert retorted good naturedly.

"I'm sixteen now," said Evie. "That is plenty old enough to marry!"

Cara smiled. She loved them both and certainly wasn't going to take sides. So, she only smiled, glad her brother had found a woman that he cared for. She couldn't wait to meet her.