She stood over him

"Wearing Magyar battle clothing?"

"That's how he got us out. The three of us were wearing it."

Trent's look of amazement disappeared and he knelt down next to Justin, putting his head over his chest. "He's not dead!" he said, rising. In a loud voice he called out, "Warrick!" A tall knight with a look of authority appeared before him. "Quickly, take your men and get Cara, her handmaid and Justin to the castle. Careful with Justin. Make sure he gets the best doctors. Our own family doctors."

Cara was elated when Trent discovered that Justin's heart was still beating and that Trent would make sure he got the best care. But the Magyars. . . "Trent," she uttered hastily, "the Magyar army is pursuing us. They can't be far behind!"

"Good! We will battle them right here, far better than attacking them behind their fortress walls. Go, Cara. Go with Warrick to safety."

Cara moved to Trent, giving him a heartfelt hug. "Trent, be careful. Please don't take any chances."

Trent returned her embrace, but she could tell his mind was on the upcoming battle.

"What of the lord and the knights of the fortress, the rightful owners? Do you know anything of them?" he asked.

"I don't know. We didn't see anyone with weapons except Magyars."

Trent seemed to be thinking. "They could have killed them or locked them all in the dungeon."

Cara and Gina were leaving, moving toward Warrick and his men. She turned to look back at Trent who was already preparing his forces to confront the Magyars. She turned away, hoping that the battle would be short and over successfully for Prince Trent. She didn't need any more tragedy in her life.

* * *

The trip to get to Bavaria took the morning and part of the afternoon, but not as long as Cara had thought. Her concern was for Justin, and she was pleased that the knights seemed to take care in transporting him. Still she was afraid for him. The arrows remained, awaiting medical attention for their extraction on their return. She moved up more than once on their journey to look at him, but he remained unconscious and that made her worry even more. She sent up prayers that he would not die and that he would recover.

Long before they reached the huge walls of the kingdom, she was pleased to look out on extensive fields under cultivation, vineyards, pastures in the hills, and the small houses of the people. She could tell it was a happy and peaceful kingdom, for many of the peasantry raised their hands in greeting toward Warrick and his passing knights.

Soon, they arrived at the massive walls guarded above by overhead watchtowers. The gate was let down, Sir Warrick's knights and two women rode into the courtyard.

What a sight! Whereas in her father's kingdom everything except the fortress was scarcely three meters high, here, she looked upon the huge castle, the great cathedral and several other buildings that rose two and three stories high. Instead of wood they were built of stone. A bugle heralded their arrival, and people in the streets took notice, standing to the side observing them.

They dismounted, and while most of the knights left to take the horses to the stable, three right away carried Justin inside. Cara noticed how the bystanders watched closely as his body was taken into the castle. A woman of twenty some years came to them. "Ah, you are finally here," she said. "But which of you is the princess?"

Cara raised her hand, saying, "I am."

"I would hardly have known," she said. "You are both so pretty. I am Gisela, here to show both of you your quarters. You I know are Cara, and what is the name of your handmaid?"