Joy, followed by. . .

Trent smiled at her, happy to do what she asked. Already near the bed, he pulled back the blanket and its top sheet and welcomed her into his bed, their bed. Cara slipped in, and sat in the middle, her back against the pillows lining the back of the bed and her knees bent. Trent followed her, and also sat very close, turning to her. As he did so their knees came together and his head turned so that his face was inches from hers. Cara still had not removed the skimpy gown she wore, and with Trent so close she felt his warm breath on her face. Now he bridged the gap between them, his lips found hers and with his left hand he caressed her body. "Oh, Trent," she sighed, loving the way he was fondling her.

"We don't need this," he said, beginning to remove the see through gown. She helped him get it over her shoulders, and then had the unusual sensation of realizing her body was completely exposed to a man. "Trent," she said, feeling a tinge of excitement and a bit of fear.

"Cara, you are so beautiful."

Cara felt his words were spoken with a mixture of reverence and appreciation, and she thought to herself, He actually sees beauty in my body. With that revelation she suddenly felt much more at ease with Trent. Turning now completely toward him she felt open to anything he wanted to do.

* * *

Cara woke up first. She woke up happy. She looked at Trent lying in the bed next to her, his hair tousled, a bit of a smile still showing on his sleeping lips. Most of all, she was glad she had pleased him, she was glad she was able to give him happiness and pleasure. He didn't have to tell her that in so many words, because she could see it in his eyes, in how his body suddenly tensed, and then relaxed as he came within her. But even had she not known he told her so and seemed genuinely disappointed that it had not been that way for her. He wanted her to experience what he had experienced.

Of course she ended up telling him how it was for her, for he so much seemed to want to know. For her there had been pain, but not so much that she felt the need to cry out. Maybe it was because of that that she did not experience what Trent had. Nevertheless, she loved their intimate time together, his sweetness, their lovemaking. She would never again fear to be with Trent in that way. In fact, she would welcome it. Cara smiled at how he was so solicitous for her comfort. She realized he would have liked to do more, but she had asked him to wait and he did. Then they talked a while, cuddled, and before long were both asleep, her hand still held within his. How she loved that they were now a couple sharing the same bed.

Cara sensed that Trent was waking up. She turned from her thinking to look at him. She saw him looking at her with a smile. Still lying down, while she was sitting on their bed, he reached for her hand. Then, completely naked he walked out of their bedroom toward their simple, unadorned bathroom. He returned to the bed, and lay down beside her, asking her without words to come and lie next to him. She did.

* * *

Later, they were hungry, and getting dressed they went to the great hall. Only a few attendants were still there, cleaning up after breakfast. Otherwise, they were alone. Trent went to the kitchen, ordering some breakfast for them. Had he not been a prince or royalty they would have turned him away, but now as they sat across from each other at the long table and waited, Cara thought of something Trent had mentioned earlier. "Trent, what was it that you were going to tell me that had to wait until our wedding night?"

"Oh, sorry. I completely forgot to tell you. But then, how would I even think of it when I was so mesmerized by the woman I love. It's my leg. I've been working on it, a little at a time. Doing stretches, pulling exercises, weight bearing. Cara, I didn't want to tell you before, but I've seen some improvement."

"Trent, that's wonderful!"

"Yes, if what I'm doing really does make a difference. I'm working hard at it, Cara. I don't want to be a cripple my entire life."

"Oh, Trent. Don't even say that. You are mine, bad leg or not. Even if you don't improve I will never think of you as a cripple."

Trent looked lovingly at his wife, and across the table took her hand. Then, speaking with utmost sincerity he said, "I am glad I found you, Cara."

"Trent!" came a voice from across the hall. Cara saw that it was Daniel. He came closer, and speaking to them in a low but rather excited voice said, "Trent, your father is seriously ill. Your mother is still hoping for the best for him and wants only you to know. Come, she needs you. Your father needs you."

Trent looked at Cara and they both immediately rose to go to his father, accompanied by Daniel. Trent led the way despite his bad limp, and pushed open the heavy, unlocked door into their royal suite. Cara followed, a little behind Trent and Daniel and saw the queen, Trent's older brother and the doctor.

Trent went immediately to his father's bed, looked at him, and then bent down low to hug his father's body through the blankets covering him. He looked on at his father, their heads inches apart and said but one word, "Father!" Then he knelt on the floor beside him and reached out with one hand to hold onto his father's forearm.

"Son," said his mother. "I'm so glad Daniel could find you. You see how it is with your father."

"Yes, Mama," Cara heard him say. She had never heard him use that term with his mother before. Looking on from where she stood Cara could see that the king was in pain, his labored breathing apparent to all. Trent remained kneeling at his father's side, still holding onto his arm. "Trent," she heard his father say. "Trent! Brett!" Trent's brother, Brett, also came near to be beside him.

"What is it, Father?" Cara heard Trent ask. Trent and Brett stood close over him, but to Cara, it seemed the king's breathing was getting much worse. She didn't know how long he could continue.

The king tried to speak to them, and now even his words seemed to be failing him. Trent told him, "Father, this is too hard for you now. Wait until you can catch your breath."

The king shook his head from one side to the other. Cara saw his eyes looking up high above the bed. She wondered if he could see. Turning to his sons who stood beside him, he managed to tell them something. At least Cara thought he did. Then, the king lifted his hand high in the air, making a fist. But his body shuddered, and his arm suddenly came down. Immediately, Trent went to give his father a great hug, burying his head in his chest. More than one person let out a cry. Cara didn't have to be told that the king was dead.