"Stop! Don't say it!"

Cara could scarcely believe it. Had his fingers really tightened on hers? She bent down to look at him closely. She saw his face in repose, as if he were only sleeping. She could feel his steady breathing. "Trent," she said, this time a question in her voice. "Trent, if you can hear me squeeze my hand." She felt his gentle caress of her fingers. Now she was sure. She knew he could hear her and suddenly she felt joy in her heart. He was coming out of the coma!

She thought to herself, that she shouldn't expect too much, even though her heart was already beating faster thinking he would soon be his own self again. She was elated, and wanted other people to know. Her thought was to dash through the hall to tell the king and queen, to tell Daniel and Justin. But realizing how late it was, she thought better of it. Best to wait and tell them tomorrow. She knelt on the floor beside Trent and with a smile on her face laid her head on him. It was only Trent and her together, and she felt Trent could feel that she was close.

How much she wanted to tell him, how much she would tell him when he was well again. Kneeling there, her head lightly on his breast, she gave thanks as she prayed for his full recovery. She stayed there a long time, and then rose to stand over him. She would leave, the hour was late. She stood over him, and one hand on the bed, she bent down to place a kiss on his lips. She hoped he would know of that. Then turning, she walked from the room, her head held high. Yes, she would be a princess, married to a most wonderful prince!

The next morning, as soon as she thought everyone was awake she told them-the king and queen, Justin, Daniel, and Gianna. She knew most would want to go to him immediately to see for themselves. Cara was content that she would go back and see her prince later, when not so many were around. It would be their own time together. She had no doubt in her mind that Trent would get better, whether quickly or more gradually. She felt at peace now to be in the prosperous kingdom of Bavaria for she would marry the prince. She decided to go to breakfast.

It was the time of morning when many were there, knights, their wives and families, servants, nobles and others whose professions she didn't know. She had not sought out Gianna, and was content to serve herself from the serving tables rather than be waited on as was the prerogative of all nobility. She walked up the three stairs to the slightly upper level where she felt she could survey all those coming to dine. Someday, these would be her people, and she wanted to see more of them. Taking a place at an empty table, she began to eat, but before long Daniel joined her.

He took a place next to her, exclaiming, "My Lady, you have brought such wonderful news to us of Trent. You are an angel."

Cara laughed at his praise for her. "Not an angel, Daniel. Only a girl who cares for a man."

"Nevertheless, thank you, my Lady."

An important thought came to her. "Daniel, how is it going with the Magyars? I am so afraid they will be launching another attack."

He reached a hand to her forearm saying, "They have left, and I hope they never return. We poured hot oil on their siege tower and then burned it to the ground. My only regret is that we did not pursue them and completely destroy them. But, with so many dead and wounded of our own. . . ." his voice trailed off.

"So, they will not be a threat again?" Cara felt she had to know.

"One can never say never, but I think it is unlikely, Cara."

At those words, Cara placed her hand on Daniel's arm saying, "That is the best news ever. We can live in peace!"

* * *