She knows it's because of her

As Farkas' men gathered up their equipment to go back to the main force, Evie's heart began to sink. This would have been the perfect time for her and Stefan to be rescued, but now it was growing darker and soon they would be taken back into the midst of the huge Magyar army.

As she and Stefan mounted their horses she looked at Stefan and shook her head. "I'm sorry, Stefan. I know now it's all my fault. I've always been one to want to go my own way even when wiser people like my father, my sister and even Trent have told me otherwise. Stefan, I don't know what is going to happen to me or to you. I'm afraid that whatever does happen will be my fault and mine alone. I should have listened. I'm so sorry that because of me you too are now caught in the grasp of the enemy.

Evie knew that Stefan heard her quiet words of regret as they rode along side by side together. He looked at her sympathetically and Evie felt he wanted to say something but no words came. Instead, Stefan placed a comforting hand on her back. Although no words of his could have changed their situation, for Evie it was a relief to know that Stefan stood with her despite everything.

Did she just hear something in the forest or was her imagination playing tricks on her in the gathering gloom? She cocked her ear, listening as best she could to separate what she thought she was hearing from the sound of the hooves of their horses striking the ground. Yes, someone, apparently some small force was quietly approaching them. Could it, could it possibly be a rescue party?

Then she heard Farkas issue a command in his sharp and yet quiet voice. She realized immediately that he also knew that there was an unknown force coming toward them. She saw that he and his two lead archers began dropping back closer to her and Stefan and at the same time his men in the rear were beginning to move up nearer to them. She knew their purpose-to prevent her from escaping.

Evie was alert, wanting to somehow escape the clutches of the men who held them hostage, but in the darkness she did not know which way to go. Making up her mind quickly she whispered to Stefan, "Let's get out of here!"

"Where, my lady?"

"Anywhere! Into the woods!"

Quickly, they broke from the trail into the thick of the woods. Evie was secretly glad that the gentle horse they had given her followed her directions and that Stefan's horse did the same. She knew that if she were wrong about a rescue party they would soon be recaptured, but at the moment she felt that escape offered their only hope.

Ah, soon after she and Stefan crashed through the thick scrub forest she heard the sweet sound of the clash of arms. Yes! Evie now felt sure it was Trent's knights that had come to rescue them. Stefan and she stopped their flight and turning their horses around they listened to the clang of arms and the cries of men taken down by the sword. Oh, if she could only join in the battle herself! Of course, it was not possible because her captors had taken away her sword and in the tangle of woods where they were now there was no opportunity for an arrow to be shot. She and Stefan would have to wait. They would have to wait and hope and pray that Trent's knights would emerge victorious.

They listened. The darkness of the forest had deepened and from their position they couldn't see anything. They heard the sound of quiet voices, but whose? Then her heart rose in her breast as a louder voice rang out. "Evie! Evie, are you there somewhere in the forest? It's me, Richard, here to take you back."

Evie's eyes suddenly wept tears of joy. Richard did not have to tell her it was he. How could she not know the voice of the man she would soon marry? "Richard! Richard. Yes I'm here and Stefan is with me. We are both unfortunately caught up in this dense thicket. Are you OK, Richard? You were not hurt?"

"I am fine, though one of our men was struck down. Keep talking to me, Evie, and I will come to you."

"Oh, Richard, I am so happy."

In the gathering darkness, it was hard to see through the foliage and branches, but she carefully picked her way through, and Richard did the same. Before she and her horse had reached the open area they met.

"Oh, Richard, I am so glad you have come for me," she said as they embraced.

"And I am so happy to find you safe, though we must leave quickly before we are discovered by the Magyars. Come. This way. He led her gently out of the tangle of shrubs and vines. As they reached the clearing, they hugged again and then she turned to look at what remained of the battle that had been fought there. Three Magyars were on the ground, lying in positions of death or mortal injury.

Trent came up to her. "Glad you and Stefan are safe, Evie, but now we must hurry back before we are discovered."

Evie saw a knight tied to a horse. "Trent, Richard told me that one of your knights did not survive the battle. Who is the man secured to the horse?"

"I am sorry to say it is Justin, my lady. He gave his life to save mine. But we cannot talk now." He spoke to the others. "Let's get out of here!"

Evie rode with the others and Richard rode alongside her whenever the trail was not too narrow. She held on to her mount as they sped quickly toward Trent's army. But there was bitterness in her heart. She knew without a doubt that it was all her fault that Justin was dead.

I'm so sorry about this. Fortunately, I know what happens next.