A celebration!

All appeared to be in readiness. Cara loved the aromas emanating from the kitchen next to the great hall. She had chosen a special gown for the occasion, one that would look both royal and very feminine. Trent had not yet seen her in it, it would be a surprise for him. She had only tried it on when he was doing business during the day.

Just now she was happily attending to Kirah and Brendan. They had already eaten and she was reading a story to them before they went for their nap. However, whenever she paused, her thoughts went to the evening. It would be so romantic, so wonderful to dance to beautiful music by the soft light of the wall sconces. Cara loved it whenever Trent took her into her arms, especially when they had the opportunity to dance.

Cara was quite aware that all the women of the castle as well as a great number of the common people were preparing themselves for the evening. There was a light knock on her door and momentarily her friend Gianna entered.

"Oh, sorry, Cara. Are you just now putting the children down?"

Cara whispered back. "Yes, but stay, Gianna. I'll be with you in a minute." She said her last words to the children, gave them each a hug and a kiss, and then backed out the door, closing it. Turning to Gianna, she softly exclaimed, "Oh, Gianna. You look absolutely stunning in that gown."

"Thank you, but do you really think so?" She turned so that Cara could see her front and back.

"Oh, yes, the carmine is so beautiful on you, enhancing your dark hair."

"Well, then, that decides it. I wasn't sure, and have tried many things on. What are you wearing, Cara?"

Cara reached into further closet to pull out her chosen garment and held it up for Gianna to see.

"It's lovely. I can just imagine you on the dance floor wearing that gown. All eyes will be on you and Trent."

"Have a seat, Gianna. You've got a little time, don't you? The two of them sat down close to each other on the divan. Cara thought only a moment before asking the question that was on her mind. "Gianna, how is Justin?" She saw Gianna shake her head a bit before answering.

"He's a little better. I mean he seems to be slowly improving. The problem is holding the man back. He thinks he can do almost everything but he really can't."

"Then as far as you know he plans to attend the ball?"

"Oh, yes, he wouldn't miss that."

"I'm glad. Trent and I will enjoy talking with both of you. It's been awhile since the four of us have been together."

"That will be great. I look forward to our being together, though of course we will be with many others. I am sure the music will be wonderful as well."

Cara saw her hesitate before continuing to speak.

"It's just that I'm a bit apprehensive about Justin. You know, I mean about dancing."

"Oh, yes. I did talk to Trent about that. Not sure if he has spoken to Justin or not. But Gianna, do you think he will want to be on the floor with you for some of the slow music?"

"I think he will. I just don't know . . ."

Cara leaned to be close to her, saying, "Gianna, I just feel like it all will be fine."

Gianna sighed. "I hope so, Cara."

* * *

The trumpets blasted loud and clear, signaling the beginning of the great celebration. Even in their suite Cara and Trent could hear it well. The baby sitter was already with them and Cara was busy making last minute changes to her outfit. She thought that her hair was fine, the tiara sat on her head just right, and the coloring of her cheeks as seen in the mirror seemed perfect. She looked at Trent. Even he had taken the trouble to dress magnificently for the occasion. To Cara, he looked so wonderful, so handsome. She went to him, giving him a kiss. "My king, my husband."

As much as he and she may have wanted to, they knew it was not seemly for them to arrive with the others. The king and queen should have a grand entrance. So, they waited, Cara interacting with the children and giving last minute instructions to their sitter.

When it was time, a royal guard of four knights came to their door. They too were regally outfitted.

They proceeded down the corridor and entered the hall to the acclamation of the crowd. Cara waved to them in the gentle way Trent had taught her, moving her hand to them in a queenly fashion. She was amazed at the size of the gathering. Not only were the knights and their ladies and royalty there, a great assembly of common people also filled the hall. She observed them. They were garbed in all manner of styles, some women looked especially charming, and the men for the most part wore better quality jackets and pants than was usually seen. Some, however, obviously struggled to make a fine appearance.

Cara knew that many in her kingdom were poor. She wished it could be otherwise, but was glad that Trent had also invited them to this special occasion.

They were escorted by the four knights up the two steps to expansive area that was the place where royalty, knights of merit, and their ladies had their tables, giving them a good view of the great hall. Here, they were among friends, and Cara and Trent greeted and received the greetings of those they knew best. Daniel and his girl friend, Rosa, Justin and Gianna, her sister Evie and Richard, her good friend Elke and her husband Johann. Cara felt festive just being around them.

Then, Daniel stood up to silence the crowd and Trent said a few words of welcome to the gathered people on the floor. Cara was glad to hear their clapping and applause at his magnanimity in having this celebration and inviting even many of the peasantry, the craftsmen and their wives and others to join in. Next, Bishop Andrew offered a quiet prayer of thanks that the Magyars had left and a blessing over the food.

Cara eyed Justin, sitting next to Gianna, and noted his warm smile and greeting. One would not have known he had been near death. Only the ornate cane at his side gave witness to his unsteadiness. But that would soon be forgotten as the waiters brought them hot dishes of various meats, breads, vegetables and of course wine. Cara was seated in a most comfortable chair and turning her head she could see all those on the lower floor eating at the long tables and enjoying themselves with the plenteous food and drinks.

After the dinner, came the time that almost everyone in the crowded hall was waiting for. Now that the people had finished eating, the tables were moved away, and chairs and benches were moved to the sides and the floor was cleared for dancing. A sprightly sounding musical group began tuning their instruments in the front, toward the side where the knights and ladies were seated. Then they suddenly come together in harmony and began playing their first song.

Technically, the first song or two was normally reserved for royalty, but Cara could see that the people didn't know it for many of them were not shy about rising with their partners and moving to the music. Cara looked at Trent and saw him smiling at them. She was glad he did not on this occasion stand on propriety. "Shall we," he asked her, extending his hand to her.

"Of course, my Lord. I am honored." This was sometimes Cara's favorite way of talking to her husband, an elegant way of speaking that was fun and one that he could rejoinder to as well as she.

"You look so lovely tonight, my queen. All eyes will be on you, scarcely able to turn away from your rare beauty."

Cara smiled at him as he took her hand in his and led to the dance floor. She was feeling a bit giddy, perhaps because of having Trent back, maybe because of the special occasion, and maybe a little because of the wine. She was happy as he took her in his arms and together they moved as one to the music. Then she looked up to see Justin holding his cane in one hand as he led Gianna down the steps. Were they also going to dance?

"Looking up to her husband she asked, "Trent, did you say anything to Justin?"

"About what, my love?"

"About his unsteadiness and how maybe he shouldn't . . ."