Women fighting back

Everyone heard it all day long. The sawing, the pounding that was going on in the nearby forest. Word was out, and all those in the besieged town knew the meaning of the noise. The enemy was making siege ladders. But were they doing more than that?

It was suppertime, and while the numerous guards stationed on the ramparts and on the towers kept close watch, the people of the castle took time to eat.

Cara was glad to be with Trent and Justin and including Gianna, they made a comfortable foursome. That is, if anyone could be comfortable at a time like this.

"I am so afraid for you," said Cara, speaking to both Trent and Justin.

"We must defeat them!" exclaimed Trent. "I will fight to the death to protect you."

"As will I!" spoke Justin. "To protect all that is beautiful, all that is good."

Cara and Gianna looked at each other, fear expressed in their eyes. "That is what we are afraid of!" spoke Gianna, also standing up. She went to Justin, and holding him, said, "What would it mean to live if you like my brother were to die?"

Justin held her, her tears coming onto his chest. He spoke softly, barely audibly to her, such that it was hard to know what he was saying to her.

Cara looked hard at Trent across the table. "Prince Trent," she said, speaking formally to him. "We are not going to stand idly by while you men fight the enemy alone. Many of the women will be at the walls with you. We also will fight to turn back the Magyars." There, she had said it, and she looked directly at Trent for his response.

Trent regarded her, a question on his face. He spoke softly, "What do you mean, Cara?"

"Gianna and I have talked with the women. Some of their husbands or sons have already been killed. They want to slay the Magyars and keep them from scaling the walls. That's what they're doing with all the sawing isn't it? Making ladders. We will help to stop them."

Trent came to Cara, and putting an arm around her said, "Cara, I don't know what you have in mind, but it would be foolish. . ."

Cara was angry, and stepped out of his grasp as she faced him, tears beginning to fill her eyes. "No!" she said, interrupting his words. "We will pour boiling water and oil on them! That's what we are going to do and you can't stop us. I have already talked with your father."

Trent stepped closer to her, trying to placate her upset feelings. "If my father, the king, has given his approval, then so be it. But Cara, surely you will not be there with them. The danger is too great. You are to be my bride, my princess. Tell me you will not be with them."

Cara looked at Gianna, standing near Justin. The women exchanged glances before Cara answered, "No, Trent, I will not be with them."

Trent reached out to hold her, and this time Cara let herself be drawn into his arms. "Thank God," he said, as he embraced her. For herself, Cara loved to be within the circle of his arms. They might disagree, but she was glad he had no hint of what she and Gianna were planning to do. Secure in that knowledge, she hugged him back, at the same time offering a silent prayer that all would go well for him and for their kingdom.

* * *

Let's practice," said Cara. She got up from her seat and glanced to where she had hidden the armor. "I think we should put on the armor now so no one realizes we are women. She went to where they had hidden their equipment, including their bows and arrows. They both went to get them, and each put on the helmet, the breastplate, and upper arm armor.

"I hope we can still shoot accurately with this heavy gear on," said Gianna.

"Yes, it's a long shot from here to past the wall but being so high up on this balcony should aid our range. See that tree off to the right with the tallest branches. Let's try to put an arrow in it's upper trunk."

Gianna wet a finger and held it over her head. There's a fair breeze coming out of the east. Might make a difference in the flight of the arrow at this distance."

Cara looked at her with admiration. "That's smart, Gianna." Drawing back her bow, she shot first. "Oh, I don't think I hit it at all."

Gianna fired next, her arrow landed near the middle of the trunk.

"Excellent!" said Cara. She picked up an arrow, notched it, and drew back her bow. This time her arrow hit close to the one Gianna shot. "You're right. Have to allow for the wind."

Each shot a few more arrows, and in general they were pleased with their performance. Shooting toward the ramparts would be closer, but they would have to be careful that their arrows didn't dip too low where they could be deadly to their own knights. Not willing to waste more arrows, they stopped and sat down on the benches. "Makes it harder having to wear the armor," said Gianna.

"It does," agreed Cara. "If their attack comes at night, we can dispense with the armor because no one will be able to tell in the darkness that we are women."

Fortunately, the high balcony where they were staying was little used, and the two stayed there talking as darkness slowly fell. It was a good place to watch what happened below. They could see the fires glowing under the cauldrons and the women nearby. They were in readiness with buckets to throw their steaming contents on to those who tried to climb the wall. Cara was glad the women had welcomed the chance to fight.

However, just at the time when the light of day was fading, quickly leading to a growing darkness, suddenly, the battle cries of tens of thousands Magyars filled the air. Cara trembled, and if their shouts were meant to throw their enemy into fright the tactic was certainly working. However, ignoring her fear, she picked up her bow and an arrow and notched it, ready to strike down her first victim. Gianna did the same, standing at arm's length away, neither of them bothering to put on the cumbersome armor.

The enemy rushed toward the walls, many carrying long ladders. Some were shot down as they ran, by arrows of their own and those of other archers positioned on the watch towers. The enemy's yelling as they approached the wall never stopped, and they came without faltering or slowing down. Quickly, they reached the walls and began climbing up. Once they were hidden behind the walls, there was nothing Cara and Gianna could do, for even when they reached the top, to fire then would risk striking their own men. But it was then that the women went to work, pouring the boiling liquids on the heads and shoulders of those approaching the top of the wall. They heard the screams of the enemy as many tumbled down from the ladders.

Yet as they watched from the balcony, some of them were making it over the wall and were met by the defenders. The clash of blade on blade and the cries of the wounded and killed only added to the clamor. Thankfully, as Cara looked down, bow in hand, the defenders seemed to be winning the battles on the parapet. "Our men are holding strong," she said, turning toward Gianna.

"But what is that tall thing rapidly moving toward the wall," asked Gianna.

"Oh my God! It's a siege tower!" yelled Cara. Seeing it, they immediately notched their arrows, shooting one after another at the men wheeling the tall structure toward the wall. To no avail. "God help us!" cried Cara. "It's reached the wall where Trent and Justin are fighting!"