"I think it will be good."

Unexpectedly, Cara's family arrived. They had made it to Bavaria in a two day journey, and Cara first heard of it when they were admitted through the gates and one of the guards sent a messenger to notify her. She rushed out to the courtyard to see them.

How happy she was to see her father, who looked hale and hearty, thank God, her brother wearing his most regal traveling clothes, and her dear sister, Evie, who at first glance seemed somehow older, more mature. Along with her family came more of her relatives, all escorted by a strong contingent of knighted guards. Cara ran to her family, wanting to hug each of them even before they had dismounted. Finally, the horses were led away and she could be among them, hugging each of them and chattering away in her happiness to see them.

Her father told her, "You look positively lovely, Cara. Life in Bavaria must be agreeing with you. Or, might it be that you are looking forward to soon marrying the handsome prince?"

Cara laughed in her happiness. "Yes, father, I am to be a very fortunate princess in this wonderful land." She did not at this time tell him of what had happened to Trent in the battle with the Magyars. He would find out soon enough. Besides, despite that she was happy.

"Cara, we were so worried for you and heard about your capture. Wonderful that Justin was able to save you. What a hero!"

She looked up at her brother, so much taller than her. "Yes, Justin was magnificent risking his life for us. And now Justin is a knight. A royal knight."

That is as it should be, my sister. I always felt he had fine qualities. I'm so glad Bavaria was also able to repulse the Magyars and send them back a broken army to their own land. Now, all should be ready for your royal wedding. We are all looking forward to that. Then my little sister will be a princess!"

"Oh, my brother, you say the sweetest things," she said, beaming up at him.

Her sister Evie came near. "Evie," said Cara, seizing her sister and wrapping her in a tight embrace. "I am so happy to see you too. What has happened to you? You seem somehow different. Maybe suddenly more grown up. Surely you are still my little sister."

"Of course I am," she answered, hugging her older sister. But with you being gone I am now the oldest daughter, at least in our own kingdom."

Cara stood back a little, eying Evie suspiciously. Then she asked, "Is there a man already in your life, Evie?"

Evie turned a little away from facing her sister. "My dear sister, I had almost forgotten how smart you are. But yes, there is. You remember Richard. He has stopped by to see me already several times. I do like him."

"Ah, so that's your secret. You must tell me about him when we have some time together."

"Oh, you can be sure I will," Evie answered, smiling.

Cara was glad for her. She remembered the young man, was he fifteen going on sixteen? And how even then her sister seemed enthralled with him. He was the son of Count Alexander whose wife had died and who had wanted Cara for himself. She was glad she had not been given to him-the man was at least twice her age! How much better to be desired by Prince Trent, injury or not.

* * *

Cara's family were given a large apartment not far from her own. Having traveled for much of the day they were tired, particularly her father. She later learned that besides resting in his suite he also did not go for the light evening repast in the hall. She missed him. Usually, Prince Trent would come to see her in the evening, but so far this evening he had not. Cara found herself a bit lonely with her whole family there and yet no one had come to see her. She thought that she would go to see them. Then, she heard a knock on her door.

"Who is it?" she asked.

Immediately coming through the door was her sister Evie. "Evie, good to see you. Have you already had enough rest from your long trip?"

"I don't feel as tired as the others. Besides, I really wanted to talk with you."

"Of course. We will always be able to talk. Tell me about Richard."

"Well, sister, you remember how handsome he is-not at all like his father. And he has already come four times to see me. Of course, you can imagine that father would not let me leave the fortress with him without an escort. Twice it was our brother and the other time Charles, one of our knights. Despite having an escort we had a wonderful time. He took me to different places in the country and we picnicked and twice we also shot our bow and arrows. He is very good and I must say I am improving. Still, we wanted to be alone together, so we worked out that he would signal me by making the call of the crow five times in succession. Then I would go to the stable, mount my horse and go for a short ride outside the gates. That's what I told the gatekeepers. Then, I rode to the edge of the forest and met him. Oh, Cara, you cannot imagine what a wonderful time we had together when we were alone."

Cara had been focused on everything Evie was saying, but with her last revelation she eyed her and asked, "Did he kiss you?"

"That and more," she answered, unsuccessfully trying to hide the smile that broke out on her face.

Cara was well aware that it was common for girls of thirteen and even twelve to be espoused to be married at a young age. For herself, she was glad to be older, eighteen. Older than usual for girls of the time. Still, even she felt the flutter of her heart when Trent drew her close. "Our father and his father have not met to make plans for a future marriage? Father has said nothing to you?"

"No, nothing. Maybe father is missing having one of his daughters already gone so far away."

"Yes, that could be," thought Cara out loud.

"Cara, I know nothing of how it is with a man and woman in marriage. Could you tell me?"

Cara looked at her, at first trying to hide her feelings. Finally she spoke in answer. "Evie, I'm afraid I cannot tell you much about that. I have looked in books, but it seems there is nothing to be found. Of course, almost all the books are written by men. Besides, the church might ban a book like that. I would ask mother but she is long deceased. And I definitely would not ask father."

"I think it will be good," said Evie.

"I hope so," sighed Cara.

Note: I couldn't write while on vacation but now should again be able to update each week. Think you may be able to guess what is coming, or will there be a surprise? Mainly,hope you are enjoying the story.