A special knight

"Justin," she whispered into his ear. Cara couldn't believe it when his eyes blinked opened and he looked at her."Justin, you're awake!" She could scarcely contain her feelings.

"Yes," he uttered, his eyes taking in Cara and the room he was in. "Where am I?"

"Oh, Justin! You're here, with me in Bavaria. You were struck by arrows. You don't remember?"

Justin seemed to try to think and then he said, "Oh, now I remember. We were running from the Magyars."

Cara saw that in his effort to talk and think that he seemed to be struggling. "Yes, Justin, that's it. But don't concern yourself with that. We are safe now, and the doctors have dressed your wounds. You need to rest. You need to take time to heal."

"Yes," he answered, though his voice seemed to be losing strength. "You are safe, Cara. That is what matters to me."

Cara put her head gently on Justin's chest, away from his wounds. She was overcome by what Justin had said, that she was his main concern. "Yes, Justin, I am safe. And you, you will get well and do all that you do and more. But maybe it will take some time. Let the doctors do for you what they can. You will be healthy again, Justin, and I will be so happy for you."

Justin moved his hand toward her and she took it in her own. He held her hand, tightly, and Cara saw that Justin smiled. Then, still holding her hand, his eyes closed. It seemed to Cara that he had fallen asleep. After awhile she took her hand from his grasp and turned to the doctors, still standing behind her. "Do everything you can for him. Please."

"Yes, they both murmured. "We will."

Cara walked away from them, toward the door, hardly looking at where she was going. Her thoughts were only for Justin. He had saved her and Gina from the Magyars, without seeming to care at all for his own safety. She continued to think about him as she made her way back to her apartment.

Even while inside, quietly sitting on the bed, Justin was on her mind. Then, there was a gentle tapping on her door. A message. The queen wanted to see her. Cara knew she could not refuse an invitation from the queen, though she wondered at the purpose of her request.

She stepped outside her apartment. Stefan was there as usual, she had learned his name, and he led her to the royal residence. She had not taken the time to change into something more elegant and hoped that had not been a mistake. Stefan knocked gently, and then let her in while he stayed outside.

"Ah, my lady," spoke the queen enthusiastically as she came toward her. "Come, we must talk."

Cara looked at the queen. Beautifully styled flowing hair, a mixture of grey and white, elegant light gown of peach and yellow, a relaxed and at the same time a businesslike manner, a woman who wore authority well.

"Come and sit with us," said the queen. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"No, no thank you," said Cara as she walked further into the luxurious home, noticing all the beautiful paintings and small sculptures of birds and deer. Then she saw the king, sitting on one side of a beautiful multicolored divan. With his white hair he looked dignified, regal, but Cara noticed that he didn't appear to be at all robust.

"Sit, sit," said the queen. "We must get to know you. You are, or soon will be family."

"Thank you," she answered, taking a seat in an upholstered chair angled such that to her right was the king and to her left the queen.

"I have been told of your amazing rescue. Is it true that your stable boy pulled it off?"

Cara noticed that though the queen asked the question, it was the king who leaned forward in anticipation of her answer. "Yes, it was Justin. He is incredible. I am so sorry he was struck by arrows just when we were about to meet up with Prince Trent and his army."

"I am sorry for that," spoke the king, the weakness of his voice evidencing his lack of health.

The queen looked at her in a rather piercing way. "Such devotion he must have for you to risk his life on what must have been an extremely dangerous mission."

Cara looked away from her penetrating gaze. "Yes, he has been the one to keep my horses since I was only a girl." Now it came to her what the queen was thinking. Was there someone else in her life?

"You are a beautiful girl. I suppose there have been many who have been interested."

"No, not at all," Cara felt the sudden need to say.

"I want to know the full story of your rescue," said the king.

Cara looked at him and back at the queen. She too seemed content to listen, so she began, telling them from the beginning when she and Gina were first captured to the time when Justin came and how he killed two Magyars and had them wear their clothes in making their escape. When she finished, the king said, "What bravery! We must make him a knight!"

Cara answered, "Yes," in agreement and then added, "I pray he makes a full recovery."

"We both do," answered the queen, standing up. Those Magyars are so terrible. And now our son is chasing them. I am so worried for Trent. He is too brave and doesn't seem to understand how one arrow or slice of the sword can be fatal."

Cara had also risen immediately following the queen. Now the queen came to her, and giving her a hug said, "Pray for him, Cara, for his safety, and when you are his princess talk to him. Tell him to be careful and not to take chances. Tell him you want him to be a father for your children."

Cara was struck by her utter sincerity, and at her words knew now that she was accepted by Trent's mother. "I will," she told her. The king didn't rise. Cara thought probably because of his sickness. She nodded to him, and when he acknowledged her, she moved her hand in a little wave of goodbye. There was something about him that she liked. Did he remind her of Trent?

"It has been lovely talking with you, Cara, but now we must get ready for dinner. You will sit by us, as the princess to be, but I am glad we have had a little time to talk now because it is always rather noisy when we gather to eat."

Where do you think this story is going? Any ideas you would like to share? Hopefully Justin will recover from his wounds. And then? Then he is to become a knight. What next? We can't forget Prince Trent battling the Magyars. A dangerous undertaking. We must get him back into the story. He is very important to it. Hope you liked this part.