Surprise!

Evie unwrapped herself from Cara arms. "Dear sister, you worry too much about me. Things will work out. And I will do everything I can to get our father and brother released. I am going to talk to Trent about it right now.

As it happened, King Trent was in an important meeting and Evie wasn't able to get in to see him. It was Cara who saw him first, as he came back to their royal suite directly from the meeting.

"Trent, did Evie talk to you?"

"No, why?"

"Well, she has got this idea in her head that she will go with you and the knights to find my father and brother. I told her it was too dangerous. She may be good with the bow and arrow but she would be out of her element on the battlefield trying to handle a sword in combat."

Trent came close, giving Cara a greeting kiss. "Ah, your sister. She seems to have indomitable will and pluck. I like her spirit, but fighting with men on a battleground is not a place for a woman."

Cara was suddenly more hopeful. "Then you will tell her no? That she cannot go with you? I worry enough about you and our friends who would be joining you without being concerned about her too."

Trent turned away, seemingly in thought before saying, "She will not like it, I know that."

"But Trent, please don't think of telling her anything but no. She is a girl. She scarcely knows what she could be getting herself into."

Trent turned to face Cara directly. "You and I know that. I wish she did. To be honest, I enjoy the fact that she seems to look up to me as something of a hero. Still, guess I have to be the one to tell her. Hopefully, you can be the one to calm her down when she doesn't get her way."

* * *

It was time for what looked like a small army of men to depart. It seemed that everyone in the castle and a great many of those outside its walls were on hand to say goodbye to Trent and his strong band of knights that assembled early that morning. As Cara looked on, Kirah nestling in her left arm, she could not think but that they were a redoubtable force who would inspire fear in all but the largest armies. Yet she was still concerned about Trent. He had been telling her that he could now do almost anything he could do before. His leg had healed so well. But Cara knew that wasn't completely true. She knew he still walked with a limp. She hated that he had to go, for she always feared when he went off to battle, but she was hopeful that such a powerful force would rescue her father and brother and dispatch the enemy holding them.

Trent's mother was there, of course, to see them off, as well as her friends Gianna and Elke and many other women she had come to know. Missing, was her own sister. Cara wondered if she was still upset because Trent told her she couldn't go. She hoped not.

The horns blew, the flags were lifted high, and the strong gate was raised. Trent circled his horse to come back to Cara. Still upon his mount, he looked down at her, blew her a kiss and told her, "Don't worry, Cara. We will find them and bring them back to you." He added, "Bye, bye, Kirah."

Cara waved him off with love and a kiss. She was so proud of her husband. Not every king would set out on a dangerous mission for the father and brother of his wife. Some would think it not important enough to take the risk. As he saw him rejoin the knight at their head she was so proud of him and so thankful that he would do this for her. She turned to go back, now that they had passed through the uplifted gate, still wondering at why her sister Evie had not had the graciousness to stand in attendance. Cara felt she needed to talk to her.

One thing encouraged her. Trent had received a missive from Alexander von Stauffenburg telling him of his own search for the troops of the kidnappers. The information helped Trent to narrow down where he would take his small army. In fact, from what Trent had told her, there was a good chance that their two forces would meet up before engaging the enemy. That would be the best outcome and likely the least loss of life.

But where was Evie? Where had the girl gone? Cara went to her suite, the one formerly also shared by her father and brother. She knocked, and when there was no answer opened the unlocked door and stepped in. Nothing was to be seen of Evie except that her clothes were, unlike her, scattered on the bed. Was she in such a hurry she had not even bothered to hang them up? The thought intrigued Cara. Where had she gone in apparently in such a big hurry?

Now more than a little concerned, she checked with Gina and her good friends Gianna and Elke. Fortunately, she had a babysitter for the twins that allowed her the time to look for Evie. Each of her friends said they had not seen her since before Trent and his force had left the castle. Cara was getting more and more worried. Where had she gone to?

* * *

They had traveled a full day almost without stopping and now Trent called a halt. They were getting closer to the territory that Alexander von Stauffenburg had said was likely near the hiding place of the enemy. Trent surveyed his troops as they set up their tents and made fires to cook their food in the failing light. With several hundred men accompanying him, Trent could say he knew a great many of them, and he was glad to have his old friend Daniel and his newer friend Justin along with him. 

He looked at the group of archers whom he had also included in his assembly of fighters. One never knew when men skilled with the bow and arrow would come in handy to dislodge an enemy from their hiding places. As there were only twelve of them, he knew each one. As he looked at them making their preparations for the night bivouac, there was one he could not quite remember. He was a small man. In the semidarkness Trent came closer to him to get a better look. Suddenly it dawned on him. This was not a man. This was a girl. This was Evie!

I'm afraid this girl is going to get herself or someone else in trouble. But on the other hand, maybe not. Maybe she will be able to do something. Who knows? I know what she would like to do—to meet up with Richard von Stauffenburg.