His ball for her

Cara first heard it from her sister Evie, who compared to her, was the more sociable of the two sisters. Not that Cara wasn't, but she liked to read, she loved nature, and she sometimes liked quiet times to think. Especially now, when to all appearances there was soon going to come a big change in her life.

"There's going to be a ball!," she said, rushing in to their suite with the news.

"Another one?"

"Yes the prince has said so. I've heard he felt bad that your coming out was ruined by the Magyars."

"I was satisfied," Cara said, looking away. "But how does he propose to do it? With his men staying on so long and eating so much I don't know how we can put on another banquet."

"Richard told me. The prince is sending out his archers to bring in game. Then, he has also been talking to Count Alexander. Since his kingdom is close, Richard thinks the count will send for extra tarts and all manner of other things. And, extra musicians for our enjoyment!"

"Oh, Evie, it seems the prince has thought of everything."

Evie came close, and almost whispering into Cara's ear said, "He wants to dance with you, Cara."

"No! Not really! Surely not all this for that."

Evie smiled at her, a knowing smile. "I have that idea from someone who appears to know something about it."

"Who?"

"Richard, of course. We have come to know each other."

Cara smiled at her. "Evie, you are something."

Not long afterward, Evie had left again, and her father came in, and proceeded to tell her the same thing. He said the prince wanted to have a celebration for all now that the Magyar threat seemed to be over. Cara could see that her father wondered how he could accommodate the whole manor in the hall. It would be crowded, he said. But the prince and Count Alexander wanted to do this, and since they were providing the food, he felt who was he to say no.

Cara noted her father was most enthusiastic when speaking to her personally. "Cara," he said, "I have this feeling that part of why the prince is doing this is because of you. Not just because of the Magyars, if you know what I mean." He came closer and fixed his eyes on hers. "I just have this feeling that he wants to know you a little better. Suddenly he smiled broadly. "My darling Cara, you may become a princess."

Cara turned away from his eyes that twinkled at hers. "Father." She hardly knew what else to say. Then turning back to him, she added. "I know you want what is best. Still, I hardly think it will happen. But, if it is meant to be, so be it, Father."

"That's my girl," he said, taking her in his arms. "You may become a princess, but you remain my beloved daughter."

Cara smiled at his words and his embrace. She had a good father, and she would do what it took to do right by him. On the other hand, maybe she could actually enjoy being a princess.

The evening of the dance

Cara was ready, at last. With Gina helping her, she was surprised how good she looked as she took another glance in the mirror. Fetching even, she thought, with her lower neckline and all the lace and the inlays of precious stones. Soon, she would join her father, brother and the knights in the great hall.

The prince was generous. He wanted the whole manor to be able to attend. His archers had bagged plenty of game and Count Alexander had brought back more wine, food and desserts from his kingdom than all could eat in one evening. Cara was almost overwhelmed at the prince's magnificence. She had heard it was to celebrate that the Magyars were gone and that the kingdom had been spared their ravages. Her sister had instead told her that the prince wanted to dance with her. Unbelievable!

As for herself, Cara had given the whole thing much thought. Why should she turn down a prince if he did indeed offer his hand? That was what everyone wanted, her father, brother, Evie, and even Justin. Had Justin not told her that she should go with the prince? That in his opinion, he was a good an honorable man who would not hurt her? She believed Justin more than anyone else. Especially, because if things were different, if she were not the daughter of a lord, . . . Ah, but she should stop thinking of him. She should think of the prince. Hopefully him, and not the count. For if Prince Trent did not ask for her, she would probably have to marry Count Alexander. Though he seemed worthy, Cara did not want to marry someone nearly twice her age. One who had shared his marriage bed with another woman for so many years. No, she would do her best to be charming if the prince did indeed want to dance with her.

Cara looked out her window. Already the courtyard was filling with peasants, some nicely decked out in finery they seldom wore except for special occasions. She heard the bugles blow, signaling the beginning of the feast and she stepped out of her room to join her family. "Evie," she said to her sister, "what a delightful gown you are wearing. I so love the bright color, the intricate designs on the fabric."

"Why thank you, dear sister. You are so awesomely dressed; I did not want to appear as only a child. Besides, I am much looking forward to dancing with Richard."

"Yes, he does seems to be taken with you," she answered, smiling.

Her father led them into the great hall where they took their places in front along with the knights and visiting dignitaries, most of whom had remained because of the Magyar threat. Taking their seats, Cara noticed that Prince Trent and Daniel were entering, and she nodded as he glanced at her before sitting down.

The waiters came with the wine, and Cara this time had them fill her goblet. On this night she didn't care if was not thinking entirely clear. Someone else would decide the course of her life. She glanced toward the prince but quickly turned back. He was looking at her again.

Their plates were full and the nights and royalty were eating companionably when the bugles rang out again, signaling that the commoners were welcome into the hall. Cara watched as they came in, a babble of conversation, some looking at the festoons and heraldic flags decorating the stone walls of the hall. She spotted Justin and noted he was with a young woman. She bent to the right, trying to get a better look at him and the girl, but with the crowd was able to see little of them except that the girl wore a gown with wide sleeves that flashed a bright red color when she raised her arms.

The general hubbub continued as the people of the manor helped themselves to the well laden tables. Cara noted that the great hall was too small to comfortably accommodate everyone, and her father had told her that after eating the general populace would have to stand. Soon enough, the stewards began moving the food tables back, some were even moved into the corridor to make room. Some of the peasants left then, and those who didn't realized that they would have to stand if they wanted to dance. Most stayed. Cara saw her father stand up, ready to make an announcement.

"My people, we are here to give thanks that the Magyar scourge has passed and we can again celebrate with fine food and dancing. The thanks however, is not to me, but to Prince Trent Liutpold and to Count Alexander von Stauffenberg. For the most part they have provided tonight's provisions."

A cheer rose from the crowd and many mugs were lifted in their honor. Both the prince and the count acknowledged their applause, raising their right hands high and making a perfunctory bow toward them. The crowd again broke out in cheers.

"It is my regret that the hall is not large enough to provide space for both seating and dancing for all, but we will begin right away with country dances for your enjoyment," announced her father,

As the musicians began, and the commoners took to the floor with their usual enthusiasm, Cara knew that her time soon would come. Count Alexander of course would call on her, and Prince Trent. The prince and his friend Daniel were seated to her left where they could easily look forward toward her. She, on the other hand, needed to turn her head to see them. Cara was a bit uneasy at that, for she felt Trent's eyes were often upon her.

The next part belongs mostly to Prince Trent and Cara. Surely, my dear readers, you cannot guess what will happen. Or can you?