She knew what she wanted to do

Cara continued to fret about what the old queen had told her about getting a wet nurse. Where she came from women nursed their own babies, but when she asked around she learned it was not that way here in Bavaria, at least among nobility. She wished Trent were back so she could talk to him about it. Then, Gianna came to mind. She should have thought of her before.

She stopped by her apartment, not knowing exactly when was a good time, but hoping to find her in. As it happened she was, and setting down the garment she was altering, Gianna welcomed her in. "Cara, good to see you. It's been too long."

"Yes, I loved those outings we took together when we had the warm sunshine and nice weather. Too bad it's been so chilly and rainy lately. And then, with our men off fighting, nothing is the same. I do hope they come back soon."

"Yes that is my prayer and hope too. But you, Cara. How are you feeling?"

"Much better. Actually fine, except for the worry about Trent and our knights. The morning sickness is over and I actually feel some renewed energy. Besides, don't know if I told you, I am feeling our son sometimes moving, even kicking me. Right here, especially." She pointed to her lower stomach."

"That's wonderful," said Gianna, rising from her chair to better see where Cara was indicating. "You said son. You know already?"

"That's what the midwife thinks." Cara decided to tell Gianna what was on her mind. "I was talking with the queen about when our baby is born. You, know, never having had one, I thought I would speak with someone who had. Anyway, we talked for awhile. I learned she seems almost as concerned about Trent fighting the Vikings as I am. I really felt close to her on learning that. But then, as I was leaving she said I should look for and choose a wet nurse. Gianna, that is something I never considered, But apparently, that is how they do things here in Bavaria."

"I've heard that too. Not how it is done where I come from."

"Not where you came from either?"

"No, but I guess it would be a lot easier for a mother if someone else does it. I mean babies often want to nurse at all hours of the day and night."

"Oh, I know that. I want to be there for him. Whatever it takes. I mean, it's not like I'm the first person in the world to have a baby."

Gianna smiled at her. "I think I will feel that way too."

This time it was Cara's turn to smile. "For some reason, I have Justin in my mind."

"I hope so," answered Gianna.

* * *

Cara visited the former queen again, really to talk about other things. However, the queen again brought up that she should be looking into getting a wet nurse. She even gave her names. When Cara tried to tell her she wasn't interested Trent's mother gave her all kinds of reasons for why it would be better for her to do so.

Even though Cara was not in agreement with her, some of the things she said made her think. She resolved to check it out for herself. As for Trent, the only news coming back so far was that the army was engaged in fighting the enemy. Their progress was slower than expected. Cara had been informed of that as well, so there was little both of them didn't know of him. Cara left her grand suite feeling no better, in fact maybe more uneasy than before.

Two days later, Cara set out with Gianna to talk to women who would provide the service. They rode horseback together toward where the common people lived. The women were accompanied by two knights, for protection.

Trent's mother had given her two names. Passing by some more substantial houses, they soon arrived in a poorer district, evidenced by small dwellings and seemingly patched together boards holding together their makeshift chicken coops. The whole area seemed to have a derelict quality to it, as if there was little pride of ownership and care. There were no street signs, but Cara had obtained directions from the queen and they found the first house. They noticed a good sized tan colored dog outside who barked twice on their arrival but otherwise didn't bother them.

One of the knights, Lothar, standing outside the door hailed the occupants. A child came to the door followed by a woman. She looked out at the knight and past to see the women on horseback. Realizing it was the queen outside, she hastened forward, bowing down when she reached Cara and Gianna who were still mounted on their horses. Cara acknowledged her bow, sized up the woman, and dismounted.

"My queen lady. Such an honor, that you have come to visit our humble abode."

Cara noted that the woman seemed to be in good health, and was clean in appearance though her clothing was well worn. She also noticed that her breasts beneath her tunic seemed full. "Katya? You are Katya?"

"Yes, my queen, I am Katya."

"So, then, you have served as a wet nurse for the wife of one of our royal knights?"

"Yes, my lady," she answered, bowing her head humbly.

Cara noted that her little boy was standing behind his mother but peeking out sometimes from behind her dress to get a look at her. The cry of a baby came from inside her house. The woman turned her head at the sound, but then turned back to Cara."

"Is that your baby?" asked Cara on hearing the baby continue to cry.

Katya looked back at her house, and then at Cara. Cara noted she seemed suddenly a little uneasy. "Yes, my lady."

"Go, then. Care for your little one."

"My lady," she said, seeming now rather nervous but taking a glance at Cara's stomach which showed her condition. "I could do two. My son will be done ere long and your child at first will be so tiny."

"Go, and feed your baby," Cara directed her. "You can bring your son back here with you if you like." The woman left and Cara looked with uncertainty to Gianna.

"I think it might work, if you really want to do this. She seems healthy and surely could do two for a short time," said Gianna.

"I just don't know. I mean the queen and some of the knights wives I have talked to believe it is the thing to do. They say it so much frees up their time to have a wet nurse. But..."

Katya came out, holding her son in her arms, the child contentedly nursing at her breast. Cara was surprised that the woman was able to do it standing up. Cara knew that Katya wanted the job of also nursing her baby. It would mean more income for her family. She supposed Katya's husband was in agreement, for the woman had served as a wet nurse before.

Katya stood before her calmly nursing her son. Cara noticed the tenderness of her face as she did so. She obviously liked to be able to calm and feed her baby. While still at his mother's breast her child looked at Cara in the curious, unblinking way of an infant. Cara looked at Katya, saying, "You love your child."

Katya looked up, a question in her eyes. "Does not every mother love her child, my lady?"

Cara turned to Gianna, saying softly to her, "I want to do that. I want to be the one to nurse my own baby." Turning to Katya she said, "Katya, you have shown me something today." She saw that the woman didn't really know what she meant. "Thank you."

Cara and Gianna mounted their horses as did Lothar and the other knight. They started on the short ride back to the castle. Cara turned around to see Katya still nursing her young son, her eyes watching them leave. While still facing her, Cara waved back toward her. She saw Katya wave back. Cara knew what she wanted to do. Now, if only Trent and the army would return safely in time for the birth of their son.

Dear readers, As you can see the story has taken a turn. Do hope you enjoy this part of the ongoing tale.