She has to do something!

The Magyars are now drawing near to the kingdom. There is no longer any doubt that they will attack. Late in the night, Trent is in his private chamber in conversation with Daniel, his old friend. Both men know that they will soon meet the enemy; their main decision is where.

"We can beat them," said Daniel. "There is almost no doubt of that."

"Why do they keep coming back? You would think they would know by now we have a superior force."

"They are stupid, my lord. I think they love to fight and I believe they think they will receive an eternal reward if they die in battle."

"Well, we'll give them that reward, and hopefully sustain a minimum of losses to our own men. I am sorry they are coming at such a time to disrupt two royal weddings."

"I suppose the events could still go on, Trent."

"No, both Justin and Richard feel it is their duty to be with us when we battle the enemy. It is Evie that is so set against it. I love Cara's sister but that girl definitely has a mind of her own. Who knows what she will do?"

"I know what you mean. Women do not belong on the battlefield. But of the Magyars, maybe it is time for us to do to them what Charlemagne did to the Saxons. That way they won't keep coming back to fight."

"You mean defeat them in battle, round up their army and behead them all?"

"It worked for Charlemagne."

"I know he killed thousands of men. Daniel, I just couldn't do that. I mean many if not most of their men likely have women as well as children."

"I know, my lord, it is wretched business, chopping off heads. I had a thought that maybe you would not agree to it."

* * *

Cara sat on the divan in their royal apartment nursing Kirah. She considered that before long neither of her children would need breastfeeding as they were both now eating some solid food. Brendan was asleep in one of the bedrooms. She watched as Evie paced the room, obviously upset.

"This is the worst possible time to have to fight those, those loathsome Magyars. Richard is going, Justin is going. Don't men think that marriage is important too?!" Evie stamped her foot, looking to Cara for an answer.

"I know how you feel, Evie. I agree with you totally. Two knights could surely stay home for their own weddings."

"I mean, Cara, you would think Richard would care more about me than about fighting. You would think he would listen to me and take into consideration my feelings. You know Trent even told him that because of our marriage Richard was to be excused from taking part in the battle. And yet he is still going! Cara, I don't understand him. Am I not important to him?"

"Evie, Evie, it's not you. Justin is doing the same thing, skipping his wedding in order to fight. I think it's a man thing. Something I have never been able to understand."

"Me either. Did I tell you Richard actually told me he would feel like a coward if he didn't join in the battle? I said to him, 'wouldn't you rather be with me than out on some battlefield, maybe getting hurt or killed?' He looked at me, shook his head, and embraced me. Then he said, 'Evie you don't understand.'"

"Oh, Evie, that is SO like men. I love Trent with all my heart but I still can't comprehend that part of him. I mean, really, does Trent have to be the one leading our forces? You would think something like that could be delegated. It makes me worry so much for him. With our father it was the same way. I worried each time he went to battle that he would never come back."

Cara set Kirah down, got up and went to Evie. They hugged.

Parting from her sister, Evie shook her head. "I am so worried for Richard, I did not even remember that Trent too, and all the knights are also risking their lives. Maybe I should be happy that they are doing it to protect us, to protect the kingdom, but I'm not. Cara, do you ever feel like with all that is going on that you yourself must do something?"

"Before, yes, Evie. But now, with Kirah and Brendan, I have to think of them. I need to protect them from harm. Now all I can do is worry and pray and leave the rest to Trent and his advisors. But I do tell him if there is something I can add to what he is considering. And he does listen to me."

Evie looked down at young Kirah on the divan and then away into the distance. Cara could see she was thinking about something. "What is it, Evie. Tell me."

"Cara, I am not like you, having to care for the children. The only one I have to lose is Richard. He is the only one who means so much to me, that is beside you and our father."

Cara had a feeling of where Evie was going in her thoughts. "Don't Evie. Don't even consider what I'm afraid you may be thinking. We women have to hope and pray for those we love even in times when we can't be with them. I think it is our lot to be concerned for those we love."

Evie smiled, a faraway look in her eyes. Cara was afraid of what she might be thinking. She grabbed Evie's arms, telling her, " Evie, there are some things men need to do and some things women need to do. Please, for the love of God, Evie, don't even think of going onto the battlefield."

Evie freed herself from her sister's hands. "Cara, I'm not like you. I'm not good at just worrying and praying. I have to do SOMETHING."