What happened in the forest

They talked. About her father's manor, about Bavaria, even about the court. Cara especially wanted to know more about that. Yet Trent seemed uninterested in the subject. She learned he had an older brother who would reign when his father passed. Essentially, she found that Trent considered himself almost a free man, not so much burdened with the trappings of nobility. She discovered that he was more of a free spirit than she would have guessed. She noticed he seemed to watch her as they talked, and she frequently caught a twinkle in his eye.

"What?" she said, as she lifted her glass once more to drink. It was her second glass and she was conscious of not being nearly so focused as before.

"I have never met a woman like you before."

Cara suddenly felt defensive. What was he really saying? Did she lack class or some other trait compared to others he had known. "I'm different. Isn't every woman?"

"No, no," he said, reaching across the table to take her hand. "Not a criticism. It's a compliment."

"Oh." She had no idea then of what he meant but felt much better.

They were finishing their dinner when he asked. "Do you have time? I have an idea."

"What?"

"Let's go for a ride."

More than almost anything else, Cara loved to be on one of her horses. "Yes. I would like that."

Before long they were both at the stable, and Justin got her horse ready while Prince Trent preferred to put on his own saddle. Cara couldn't help but notice Justin's eyes taking in that she was riding with the prince. She looked away from him, only glancing at him briefly in saying "Thank you" after he saddled her horse.

Soon, they were off, after stopping at the gate for the guards to raise it for them. They quickly rode past the fields and cultivated vineyard to reach the edge of the forest. Trent had been leading and she following, but as they reached the trees he settled his horse into a canter and they rode together side by side.

"This is where I can be free," he said to her. "Away from the court, the courtyard, and from all those who observe that the prince is passing among them. There are some who actually bow."

"Yes, free." Some notice even me, only a minor lord's daughter. But I would never bow to you. Not to any man."

"Then you are not overawed with my importance?" He looked directly at her, smiling as he said that.

Her inclination was to answer, "Should I be?" but she held her tongue, turning from him and now looking straight ahead as they continued riding.

"Most are," he added, his smile broadening though she couldn't see it.

They continued riding, reaching a point where the path they were following became narrower and darker as the trees and shrubbery blocked the infiltration of the sun. "Let's dismount so we can walk," he said. "To me, there is something about being alone in the deep part of the forest."

Cara was not used to doing so. To her, maybe because she was a woman, there was always a certain danger in that. But she was with the prince. She stilled her misgivings and they both dismounted.

He took her hand; had he noticed her apprehension? There was enough room on the trail for them to walk side by side. As they continued on, Cara saw that Trent was several inches taller than her, and was knowledgeable about the flora and fauna, pointing out different kinds of trees and the names of the occasional birds they saw. He walked with a carefree jaunt, taking long strides, and she needed to walk faster than her usual pace to keep up with him.

He noticed, and turning to her said. "We can stop a moment if you like."

"No, I can continue this way." She felt her breathing was definitely faster than usual.

He looked at her, and she at him. At first, she sensed he was concerned that he was going too fast for her. Then she saw something else in his eyes. His arms came around her as his head bent toward her. Then, his lips were on hers, but only for a moment. His head lifted. Confused, she watched his eyes as he looked into hers. Then she felt him tighten his arms around her as his lips melted into hers.

Cara held on, feeling his strength, as his body molded into hers. Without even thinking, she leaned into him, as if this were the most natural thing in the world for two people to do. She returned his kiss with feeling. But then something deep inside made her pull back.

His arms suddenly relaxed and his head lifted, but in doing so his eyes remained fixed on hers. She saw the question there even before he asked, "What is it, my lady?" Trent didn't ask her the second question in his mind, "Is there someone else my lady?"

Cara looked into his eyes while slowly shaking her head. Her heart was torn by mixed emotions, and she didn't know how to answer. Finally, she said, "I don't know."

Trent looked at her face, trying to find an answer there. He saw her confusion, and didn't want to cause her distress. "It's OK. We can walk back to our horses."

Cara looked up at him, a weak smile on her face. Though still uncertain in her own mind, she was glad he didn't make an issue of what had just happened between them. She held his arm as they walked back together. If not her lover, she knew he could be her friend for he had been considerate of her uncertainty. But she couldn't quite put it out of her consciousness that some day he might also be her lover. She questioned herself. Why did I resist him?

Their ride back was mostly quiet. Cara was thinking, and she thought the prince was also. When they arrived back at the stable she saw Justin, and when he took her horse she tried to avert her eyes from looking into his. She failed however, and though they didn't speak she read a question in his eyes. Was he asking if she had found her prince? The one she could be happy with? She herself didn't yet know the answer.

Evie greeted her when Trent left her at the door. She seemed so excited, and Cara was thankful she didn't start talking until she thought Trent had left from outside the door. "Cara," She said. "How exciting! To be with Prince Trent!"

Cara removed her colorful riding jacket. "Does everybody always know what I am doing?"

"Only when it is so thrilling." Evie came near, and looking closely at her sister with a pleading voice said, "Oh, Cara, this is so wonderful. Do tell me what happened with you and the prince."

"We went for a ride. You probably know that already, since you seem to like to keep track of everything I do."

"You're my big sister. Of course I do," she answered with barely a trace of misgiving. "Who else am I going to learn from when it is my time to be courted?"

Cara smiled. She loved her, it was hard not to, but she didn't want to have to share everything with her. "Some things Evie, we don't share with everyone, even a sister."

"OK," she answered turning away, disappointment in her voice. Then she turned back to Cara and in a bright voice asked, "Did he propose? Surely you can tell me that."

"No, Evie. He did not ask for my hand."

"Aw. I was so hoping he would. You will see more of him, won't you?"

By this time, Cara was getting tired of fielding her questions. "I don't know," she said, as she went into her room, her sanctuary, and closed the door. What would happen would happen. Did she really have a choice? Maybe she did. Then, another thought came to her.

Note: Prince Trent appears to be an honorable man. What seems to be holding Cara back? Not much longer?