Surprise! He is coming

Everything is happening so fast, thought Cara as she went through her things, deciding what to take and what to leave when she went to the kingdom of Prince Trent. So many things from her childhood, dresses she could no longer wear but hated to throw away. Childhood toys that held memories for her. One thing she would take, her favorite doll. The one with the colorful fabric, the soft eyes and silky hair. Made by her mother, she would treasure it always.

Then, what she hated most, the saying goodbyes. Already, everyone had wished farewell to those who came for her coming out affair. She remembered especially Count Alexander. She had felt the Count was too old for her, but she had come to know him better and realized he was someone she could actually have lived with. His goodbye to her was tender, and looking at him then she knew he would have given her his love.

Oh, how she would miss her sister Evie! They had been close ever since the girl was two years old and would follow her big sister around. What would life be like without her? Without her father and brother? Ah, so much change. Maybe she didn't like change. But, life moves on, and anyone would say she was one of most fortunate girls in the world to be marrying Prince Trent.

Cara was glad for at least one thing. Her lady in waiting would stay with her. Gina, who was her friend and who had become something of her advisor and not only about clothes.

"I am going to miss my mother and father terribly," said Gina, as she helped Cara with her packing and deciding what to take and leave.

"So many changes are coming to us. But with the prince's wealth, I will make sure that you too have anything you could want."

"I don't know, Cara. I am glad I will at least be with you. I am glad we two will still be able to share. But, I think, you will be married to the prince, and I won't be as important to you as before."

Cara crossed the short distance to Gina, and gave her a hug. "Gina, no matter what comes, you will still be close to me. Don't forget, I am sure there will be many knights who also will be living in the castle. Don't be surprised if one of them has eyes for you."

Gina smiled. "Oh, Cara, you do sometimes say the most delightful things. Maybe this move will not be so bad after all."

Cara continued that day and the next to get her things together. Fortunately, Trent had told her that she could take whatever she wanted, while also telling her that he was sure she would find in Bavaria the most wonderful fabrics, tailors and seamstresses who who would stand ready to make her tailored garments in the most exquisite styles. Cara was not so sure about that. Realizing, of course, that she would need on many occasions to represent the kingdom dressed in high fashion, she at the same time wanted to have clothes that were comfortable and not nearly so glamorous. She thought to herself, I'm a girl from a small kingdom and don't know if I will ever will feel comfortable wearing expensive clothing.

Of course, she had had conversations with the prince since that fatal day when she agreed to be his wife. Mostly, however, they had been about planning for the trip and beyond. He told her that while he and his men had made it in one day by hard riding, he could not expect that to be the case when returning with wagons ladened with her things plus her animals. Cara had insisted to him that she wanted to take her five horses, for she loved them all and each one held a place in her heart. He had told her that she could choose from wonderful animals in Bavaria, and in truth, she might consider adding one or more to those she loved, but she was not going to leave without her horses.

Cara remembered how he seemed quite bemused at that, and she was glad he did not laugh out loud at her. But the main thing is that he acquiesced to her desire for her horses and only smiled at her. She liked him for that.

Then, came the day of saying goodbye. The time when outside her father's fortress all those leaving began mounting their horses and all those remaining stood facing them to add their last goodbyes. Cara thought that besides her family, there was one other person she would miss--Justin. He had been more on her mind than she wanted to admit. But, that was the way of life, she consoled herself. He was another of those she would have to leave.

Cara had still not mounted. She hugged her sister Evie, telling her, "I am sorry to be leaving you, dear sister. But soon, we will come together again, if only for a time."

"Oh, yes, my sister. I will so miss you. You have helped me to know what it is to be a woman. You will always be with me in spirit, if not in person. Yet I do hope we can visit sometimes. Bavaria is not so far."

"Yes, we will visit. Soon, when you come to the wedding."

"Is it to be in four weeks?"

"Yes, the banns of marriage are to be posted on the Cathedral doors for three weeks. After that, the bishop will marry us."

Cara moved to her brother, also standing near to say goodbye.

He hugged her tightly, saying, "I am so happy for you, Cara. To be chosen by a prince is so wonderful for you. I will miss you, but knowing you are in a powerful kingdom, united to an honorable prince, makes me feel that all is for the best."

Lastly, she faced her father. Knowing he had not long ago lost his loving wife, her mother, she felt strong emotions as they stood facing each other. He took her hand, and for her tears began to flow. "Father, you have been everything to me."

"My daughter, I have watched you grow from a little girl to a beautiful woman. It is no wonder you have been chosen by a prince. I will miss you, we all will miss you." Cara saw her father hesitate, and words didn't come for him. She leaned into him, and she held him as he held her. They parted. Recovered, he added. "I and all our family will look forward to coming for your wedding. Oh, one thing. Knowing your love for horses, I am sending Justin to go with you to take care of them. Those, and any others that you may acquire when you are a princess."

Cara looked at her father with love, and reached out to him, saying, "Thank you, father." That he would give up Justin was more than she would have hoped for. Yet, as she turned to be with all those leaving, the fact that Justin would remain in her life was unsettling.

Yes, Justin is coming. But will he have any part in Cara's life in Bavaria or will he be only a stable boy/man?

We shall see. This story is fiction so if you, my wonderful readers, have any ideas, let me know. Maybe I can include them in the story. Most of all, hope you are enjoying it.