She gives her best

After traveling for a while longer along a little used path through the forest they arrived at a clearing. Evie noted the commander gave her a smile as one of the Magyars retrieved some things from a pack horse. She had learned that the commander's name was Farkas. Once the equipment was uncovered, it was obvious they were targets. Two of the men began walking to the far side of the meadow. They stopped there and positioned three targets in line with where the rest were standing. 

"Those are distant targets," whispered Stefan in Evie's ear.

Evie had of course been watching. She also had been noting the weather conditions. "Yes, she said, but there is almost no wind. We can do this, Stefan." She saw that Stefan evidenced none of the confidence she felt, but that was not surprising for though she knew that he knew how to use the bow he was likely not confident in his skills.

"I hope they are not set too far for you," said Farkas.

Evie noticed his smile as he spoke. Yet she did not want to seem overconfident toward him, but rather hoped to show by her marksmanship what she could do. "Yes, it is long distance to be sure," she answered.

The two men returned from where they had set up the targets and they retrieved their own bows and quivers which they had laid on the ground while they had positioned the targets. As they picked them up in readiness for shooting, Evie noticed that they on occasion glanced at her with smiles on their faces. She guessed they apparently thought that going against a woman was hardly worth the challenge. She thought to herself that their leaders probably didn't allow women in their own country to shoot. Well then, she would be the first to show them what a skilled and well trained woman could do. She hoped to erase the smiles from their faces.

"We can start with the large target in the middle of the other two," said Farkas. "Would you like to shoot first?"

Evie saw that though he had brought his own bow, he had not made any move to retrieve it from his horse. "Let your men shoot the first arrows," she replied.

The first man took his stance, pulled back his string and released his arrow. Evie watched as it hit the target. Though it was set at a good distance out, fortunately the sun was shining and she could tell where it hit, a little low of center and not within the large circle in the middle of the target. She watched as the second man fired and saw his arrow go higher, but to the right above the middle circle.

"Now it's your turn," said Farkas.

As she reached down to pick up her bow, she saw Stefan silently wave his hand to her. Knowing what he meant, she nodded slightly to him. Despite Stefan's advice she was going to shoot as well as she knew how. She wet her finger in her mouth, held it up and then was ready. Only a slight breeze, and coming from her left, she noted. She would adjust for it. Then she stood tall, drew back her bowstring and released. Her arrow flew true, striking within the circle though near its edge. Better than those she competed against. She turned toward the two and then toward Farkas.

"Very good, my lady! Far better than I expected. A lucky shot, perhaps? We shall see. My archers are just warming up."

Evie stopped herself from telling him that she too was just warming up. As she waited while first one and then the other made preparations to shoot again, she noted that neither of the men was smiling now. She realized that now the pressure was on them to uphold their honor in front of their commander.

After they finished she stepped up to the line, taking a moment to concentrate on the circle on the large target. There was a sudden puff of air, one she didn't notice until it was too late. It threw her arrow off. Not that it was a bad shot but not in the center where she hoped it would land.

"Good!" said Farkas. All three of you of you have just about equally placed your shafts near the center. Lady Evie, you have proven to me that your first one was not just a lucky shot. But the real test will be with the smaller targets."

Evie could see that the sun over the trees was already beginning to make long shadows across the meadow. As much as she loved her sport, she knew that with failing light accuracy would suffer. Furthermore, she didn't like the idea of being alone in the woods with these Magyars, though she knew it would hardly be better back in the camp. She began thinking, hoping for a rescue, especially as she realized that this would be the perfect place, away from the thousands of Magyar soldiers. She put a hand on Stefan's shoulder, more because he was the only one of her people near her than for any other reason. She turned away from him. She so wanted to be back with Richard. To be back in his arms. Oh! Had she been more than foolish to think she should join him in battle? She shook her head, trying to shake away the tears starting to form in her eyes.

* * *

At last, Trent received the information he needed from his spy  in the enemy camp. He hoped the news had not arrived too late. He learned from him that the commander and a number of his men had departed from the camp to a place set deeper in the forest. Leave it to Evie, he thought, to provide an opportunity. For he had learned that the little expedition away from the camp was to test her prowess against enemy archers.

The problem was that any men he would take on this secret mission would have to completely go around thousands of enemy soldiers and once on the other side hope to meet up with the small party that had left the camp for an archery contest. Trent thought that by rights he shouldn't be the one to go on what he knew was an extremely dangerous mission. 

And yet, maybe because it was Evie, he decided he would take the risk. He would leave his right hand man, Daniel, in charge and take men with him with proven fighting skills, men he could trust in a dangerous situation. They set out, hoping to reach Evie and Stefan before they returned back to the enemy camp. With him went Justin, Eduard, Leo, Helmut, Richard and two others. Trent knew they would have to travel swiftly and silently to reach the small enemy party in time.