Not a hot blooded peasant

The count and the prince

Cara soon learned of her father's plans. He was smart, she had to admit. He told her he would inform Count Alexander that he was thankful for his offer and he was giving it the most serious consideration. He would ask him to wait, and soon he would have his answer. Her father told her that he wanted Prince Trent to have adequate time to come to know her and hopefully make his own offer for her. Cara knew that he was acting on behalf of his kingdom. To have a close alliance with a strong principality like Bavaria would be providential. He probably didn't think of her feelings at all, believing that marriage works out. But how did she feel?

She thought of the little she knew of Prince Trent. His looks would captivate any woman, including herself. To be held in his strong arms and kissed until she ached for more. . .  Ah, that was only a dream. Something she had read in a book her father didn't know about. Cara realized there would probably be women who would throw themselves at him. She would never do that! Really, why, with all the women he could have, would he even think of her? She felt her father was far too optimistic. She thought it unlikely that anything could come of her and the prince. Still, and despite herself, she smiled, surprising things sometimes did happen. No, she reminded herself. Now I am only dreaming.

Due to the continued presence of the Magyars, most of those who had come for her coming out celebration needed to stay on at her father's manor. There, within the enclosed wall, the additional knights stood guard, adding a significant and formidable bulwark to the defense of the kingdom. Given that nobility was on hand, Gina, her handmaid, wanted her at almost all times to be dressed her best. So, despite Cara's preference for comfortable rather than elegant garb, she was glad to be charmingly dressed when a count appeared at her door.

When Evie informed her that he was waiting, she quickly said to her, "Well, let him in, Evie." It was none other than Count Alexander, the one who had proffered his hand.

The man entered, his eyes seeming to take in the room as he stepped inside. He was dressed in a deep red vest over silky white sleeves that held a matching jewel at each cuff. A youth entered with him. The count's eyes settled on Cara, taking in her lovely kelly green gown, decorated with raised golden stitching and emphasized by a band of delicate gold across her forehead. "My lady, your beauty overwhelms me."

Cara bowed slightly toward him, noticing the youth.

"Oh, I am sorry," he continued. "Let me also introduce my son to you ladies," referring also to Evie. "This is Richard. He is interested in knowing more of your family as we will soon be one. Might Lord Garrick and your brother be here as well?"

Cara looked at the youth, who like his father was splendidly dressed. She remembered Evie had told her he was fifteen, and already he had nearly reached the count's height though not his girth. "No, sire, I think my father is at the wall with my brother, checking on our defenses I would guess."

"Ah, yes, the lord of the manor must always be vigilant, especially when danger threatens. Yet, there is almost no chance they would attack in daylight, or at all now that Prince Trent has brought reinforcements. Let us dine together, my lady."

Cara took his proffered arm and leaving the suite walked with him to the great hall, now set for dining. She thought of Evie, and then caught sight of her and Richard behind them, also leading to the hall. She noted a great smile on her sister's face.

She and Alexander seated themselves toward the front, in the area always occupied by knights and royalty, and not far from the immense fireplace that warmed them on cold days. There they had a good view of the hall and could look out on others not of noble blood who provided various services to keep the manor running smoothly. Not the peasants, they ate in their humble dwellings, unless the lord held festivities where they too would be invited.

Cara and Alexander had gone to the serving tables, selected food to place on their trenchers, and now sat across from each other at table. "Your father has a lovely manor here, Cara, but I think you will enjoy not only your accommodations, fit for a queen, but also the private garden tastefully enhanced with beautiful flowers, shrubs and small trees. My former lady loved to spend time there."

Cara had not fastened on the counts words, until he mentioned his "former lady." She attended to him more closely, now seeing him as a man not only considerably older than herself, but also far more experienced. "Your lady, what was she like? Did she die young?" Cara might have hit her forehead with her hand at the daftness of her last question. Of course she must have died young.

The count looked at her, as if to gage the sincerity of her questions. "Yes," he said, taking a serious tone. "She was a beautiful woman, and a good mother to our children. When I first knew her she tended toward quietness, thoughtfulness, and I liked that about her. Of course, with children, that changed. I am glad for her part in raising my son, whom you have at least seen, and my younger daughter, who in some ways may be like your Evie. We had three children, one who died, but then with our last, Marina died in childbirth as did the child."

Cara could see that the count seemed a bit overwhelmed when he told her this. Did she also see incipient tears in his eyes? Yes, she thought so. His lady must have been well loved. "I'm sorry," she said, "to waken difficult memories."

"Ah, that is past now. It's been four years. A man must get on with his life. Cara, I do not have the full bloom of youth, but I am vigorous, and quite able to provide what a lady could expect."

Cara noted he spoke softly, with a bit of a gleam in his eye. She turned away. In turning, she noticed that the prince was just entering the hall. He came with another man, the quality of his clothing leaving her to believe he was also a man of power. She saw that the prince noted her, fixed his eyes on her, before turning away.

The two went to the long tables, selected their food and sat down just far enough away that she wasn't able to make out what they were saying. The prince had only to look up to be able to see her. She realized she was giving him far too much attention, especially when she should be listening to the words of the man in front of her. Still, as the count continued talking, she did occasionally look up at the prince, who with his friend was obviously carrying on a conversation of his own.

"My lord, this lady is beneath you. Why do you take an interest in her? Is it because you are not used to being away from the provocative glances of women who would like to have you and your wealth for their own?

"Daniel, what do you take me for? A rake? Do you not see this woman's beauty? True, she is of humble means compared to Eleanor or Lucia, but don't you see that there is something more to her?"

Daniel raised his eyes to look at Cara. "I see a woman like many women. Yes, beautiful, but she has no monopoly on that virtue. Trent, I really hope you are not going to pursue this. When we leave here and get back to Bavaria, then I think you will see how ordinary she is. Besides, what would your father think if you took a woman from such a small kingdom?"

"You, Daniel, may think of her as ordinary, but there is something about her that is special. In truth, I am not exactly sure what it is, but I want to find out. No matter what you say, I intend to see her. Too bad the count is with her now. I almost want to go over there even so."

Daniel reached to hold Trent's wrist tightly in his hand. "Don't, my lord. That would be very improvident of you. You are a prince, not a hot blooded peasant who seems suddenly to be seized with desire for a woman."

The prince laughed. "Daniel, I'm glad you are my best friend, for if you weren't you would feel the taste of my wrath." The prince seemed to think for a moment. Turning to him he said, "I take that back, Daniel. You may well be right. I am a prince and sometimes I must remind myself to act like one. Still, the woman intrigues me, and I will learn more of her."

e