"I know many girls."

Cara thought to herself, these are the best of times. She was actually going out with both Trent and Justin on a picnic. Both men seemed to be fully healed of their wounds and she knew that Justin was spending much time learning the fighting skills of being a knight. From what Trent said she knew he was making good progress.

But this day was a holiday, one of the many religious holidays called for by the church. Already, they had performed their observance by attending the service in the palace chapel, and having done that they were looking forward to a day away from the town out in the country. Trent, having grown up in that part of Bavaria knew the area well and he promised Cara that he would take them to a wonderful place in the country where they would for sure have a good time.

Cara had procured food to take from the kitchen, Trent was bringing water and wine, and Justin was coming along for the ride, for he and Trent had become great friends. Too bad, thought Cara, that Justin didn't also have a woman who would accompany them. As much as she cared for Trent and Justin, it would have been even more enjoyable for her if she had another woman to talk to. She found men to be frequently serious, and then carefree, but sometimes it was hard to know if they were serious or only joking. With a woman, you just knew.

One thought stood like a dark rain cloud in her mind. She knew, without Trent having to tell her that concern was rising in Bavaria about the Magyars. They seemed to be getting much stronger and reports were coming in that they might be gearing up for a major battle. Trent had told her not to worry, not to give it any thought, because he wanted them to have a good time together. Besides, he said, they were still far, far away.

After riding companionably together at a comfortable pace they began to come to the area Trent had told her about. Great outcroppings of rock rose from the valley where they rode, a small lake could be seen in the distance, and then they came to a place where a waterfall rushed down from above and fed into a river. "Beautiful," said Cara.

"Let's stop here in the long grass," suggested Trent. "We can put our lunch up in that tree over there with the overhanging branches. That way no animal can get to it. There's something I'd like to show you both."

Cara followed Trent as he led to the waterfall and Justin followed behind her. "See," said Trent as they got closer. "The water spills over but there's a place underneath where you can walk and be completely dry." He led them on, picking his way through the rocky surface.

Cara followed him, then said, "Trent, these rocks are slippery!"

He came back to her, and taking her hand, said, "I've got you," and led on, with Justin staying immediately behind in case she slipped.

"It's cool here," she said, pulling her travel jacket around her.

"Look," said Trent. "See how looking through the falls makes the water sparkle with all the different colors of the sun."

"Beautiful, but I'm starting to get wet," she answered.

Trent turned away from the water and holding her hand led them into the adjoining cave. Cara was glad to be away from the splashing water, and she looked toward the interior of the cave. "It's  really dark in there!"

They went further into the cave, now Trent holding one hand and Justin holding her other. The coolness within the cave intensified, and so did the darkness. Trent was still leading the way, and now Cara thought she heard water ahead of them as well as back at the falls. She was afraid and said to Trent, "I don't want to go any further."

Trent turned to look at her,  her face now mostly hidden in the dim light of the cave. "I've heard there are some interesting things further on, but we can stop and go back."

Suddenly, Cara heard large, flapping wings, and then something went by her head. She ducked and screamed.

Justin came to her immediately, his hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry, Cara. It was only a large bat. It didn't touch your hair did it?"

"No, thank God."

Finally, at least for Cara, they made their way out of the cave, past the waterfall and were back sitting together on the long grass. Justin retrieved their food from the tree and they sat down to eat and drink.

"Justin," said Trent, you should take a woman. Lord knows I've seen enough of them looking at you."

Justin glanced at Cara, before replying, "Maybe I should."

"Of course you should. You're a knight now, a royal knight, and you could have just about anyone you wanted. Haven't you ever wanted to get married?"

Justin was munching on a large chunk of bread. He put it down and took a long look over the scene before him. "Guess I've been kind of a loner. Not that the idea of a woman isn't appealing. I think I would be particular about it. Wouldn't want just anyone, even if they happened to be both beautiful and rich."

Trent leaned toward Justin, and in a confidential voice said, "Justin, I know many girls. I even know what most of them are like. Knowing you, I think you would like a sweet girl, one who would listen to you talk, take care of your needs, and not be any trouble with a loud mouth or gossipy. Someone who would really be into you."

Justin turned to face Trent. Laughing, and throwing his head back he replied, "Yeah, Trent, find me one like that."

Cara had watched and listened to both men. She felt that she missed the joke, if there was one. Was Justin serious or only just going along with what Trent said? She wished she knew.

As they traveled back together, Trent and Justin talked of many things and as Cara didn't have an interest in either weapons or in varieties of flora and fauna, she found she was mostly alone with her thoughts. Not that the two excluded her at all, it was just that they both seemed enthusiastic in talking to each other. At first, she began to think that she would have enjoyed having a second woman along for the ride. Then, she thought of Justin and if he really would settle down with a girl of his own. That would be best. It would ease her mind, for in truth she still thought about the man too much for one who would soon be marrying the prince. Really, maybe Trent would be able to help him find the right girl, especially as Justin had scarcely been in Bavaria long enough to meet anyone on his own. Then, unbidden, a fearsome thought came to her. The Magyars!

Let's hope for the best for Cara, for Justin and for Trent. I have the feeling that something is going to happen. Anyone want Justin to meet a someone special? If so, any thoughts on what kind of girl you think might be right for him? Quiet? bubbly? sweet? serious? ________________?? 

Hope you enjoyed this part.