They talk it out

Cara was happy. She had received another letter from Trent to the effect that unless there were a change he and the entire army would be returning home before long. They had only to wait to be sure that the Magyars were definitely leaving and not simply pretending to go away. Trent expressed to her that his ardent wish was that she and he would soon be together again.

That evening Cara was in such high spirits she was singing to her children as she went about caring for them. What did Kirah and Brendan think of that? Well, they seemed to like it, cooing, and making happy faces. Really, Cara thought to herself, she should sing more often to them.

* * *

The next morning, Cara's thoughts went to Evie. Somehow, the girl didn't seem as happy and she didn't know why. Off and on that day Cara's mind went to her sister. Then, during her children's nap time, Evie knocked and then came though the door.

"Evie, I've been thinking of you. How are you?"

The two sisters hugged as they usually did and then immediately Evie sat down. Cara looked at her, sensing right away there was something wrong. Evie's head was down, as if she didn't want to look at her.

"I shouldn't have let him in!" she uttered, regret showing in her voice.

"What do you mean," Cara asked quietly.

"Richard. I shouldn't have let him into my apartment."

"Oh. Hopefully no one saw it, did they Evie?"

Evie looked up at Cara who was still standing. "I don't think so."

"It's just that people make judgments about others. Evie, I don't want people to be talking about you."

"That's not what's the matter, Cara!"

Cara now knew there was more to it. There was something else that was truly bothering her sister. She took a seat on the divan next to her, seeing now that tears had come into her eyes. In a calming voice she said, "Surely, Evie, it can't be that bad."

"It's just that I let him in because I didn't want to stop kissing him and then, , ,"

Evie had stopped in mid sentence. "And then what, Evie?" asked Cara in the kindest way possible.

"Well, one thing led to another and then we were in my bed and then, and then. . .

Evie's head was bowed, and Cara reached a hand to her shoulder to comfort her. Now she knew.

Evie looked up at her sister, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I didn't mean it to happen, Cara. I really didn't."

"Oh, I know, Evie. I know how it is with a man and a woman."

"I don't ever want it to happen again," said Evie, with what seemed to Cara to be complete conviction.

"Evie, what do you mean? Surely it wasn't that bad?" spoke Cara, surprised at Evie's words.

"No it wasn't bad in that way. No, not at all. Richard was, what can I say. . . He was strong and then he was sweet to me. I especially liked that, you know, never having had. . ."

Cara had her own thoughts about what Evie was saying, recalling how the first time had been with her and Trent. She quickly brought her attention back to Evie. "Evie, that is the natural way it is with men and women. It is a powerful thing. But it is a good thing if you find the right man. Having known you all my life and Richard for a while now I don't have any reservations about you and him. I have come to the feeling that you two are meant for each other."

"Yes, but what about the baby? I mean coming too soon?"

"You're pregnant?" Cara was quick to ask.

"Well. . . I mean after, you know, wouldn't I be?"

"Oh, honey, not always. In fact not that often." Cara could see that Evie was perplexed. "Honestly, Evie, I don't know everything about it but I think it has to do with the times of the month, the position of the moon in the heavens, what you ate the day before and all kinds of things like that. Anyway, I don't think it is ever a sure thing."

"But I thought. . ." Evie began before stopping. "I thought if you liked it then you would have a baby."

Cara shook her head. "I think there's much more to it than that, Evie. It might have something to do with it. To me it's a mystery. Anyway, your thought that you could be pregnant, have you seen any signs?

" I think I've felt something down there."

"Really? Evie, I believe it's too soon for that. I know for sure I didn't feel anything that soon and I had twins. Are you sure it isn't only your imagination?"

Evie smiled. "You think I might not be pregnant?"

"I think there's a very good chance of it. The only way I know to tell for sure is if you miss your monthly flow. Then that's a pretty good sign you're going to have a baby."

Evie left the divan to give Cara a big hug. "Oh, Cara, I'm so relieved. To think I was going to ask a priest to marry us in private. I believe I could have got him to do it because the banns have already been posted. But now Richard and I can wait and have a proper wedding and our father and brother and everyone can be there. Cara I'm so happy."

* * *

Later in the day, as Cara thought about it, she was glad to have had the talk she did with Evie. The girl had such erroneous information, Cara reflected. Maybe it was because their mother had died early and couldn't speak to her about these things. Of course, there still was the chance that she could be with child. It was really too soon to tell. But, she thought, probably not.

Her thoughts went to her own husband, and her anticipation of his soon coming home. Then she would be happy. She thought also of Justin. He was "improving," she knew that from what Gianna had told her. Gianna visited him every day and often twice a day. Cara was so happy for him. In fact, she wanted to see him again. Tonight.

She waited until both Kirah and Brendan were asleep before going down. Not expecting to be gone long, she let the guard outside her door know and then went. The castle was already mostly quiet as she made her way down the stairs.

As she walked though the medical entrance toward Justin's room, out came Gianna who seemed to be in a hurry. Cara wanted to speak with her before going in, but she quickly rushed past her with the words, "You talk to him!"

Entering, she saw Justin resting on one elbow in bed, a good sign for sure.

"Good to see you milady," he said pleasantly, a hint of a smile on his face.

"Justin, Gianna just rushed by seeming to be in a big hurry. Is everything OK?"

Justin smiled again, and told Cara to take the seat next to his bed. "She's upset, and of course it is with me."

"But why? I mean just seeing you now you seem to be doing so well."

"That's exactly what I told her. I am much better. But I know what is bothering her. I'm tired of being here and plan to leave soon. Maybe tomorrow."

Cara put a hand on his arm. "Justin, I can see why she's upset. I also think it's too soon. She told me how you have dizzy spells. No one would want you to fall down and maybe reinjure your head. I'm totally with Gianna on that."

Justin shook his head. "Women! Always so protective! Cara, I'm bored stiff in this place. I'm willing to use a cane for a while if necessary, but I've just got to get out of here. There's nothing to do!"

Cara felt sympathy for Justin. She knew he had always lived an active life. On the other hand, she could also see Gianna's point of view. "Justin, Gianna wants to live with you for the rest of her life. You know she loves you. I can see why she wouldn't want you to take any unnecessary risks. For her sake and mine, can't you wait a little longer until you are steady on your feet?"