No, Kirah, he's not coming home.

Within the castle word spread of those who were infected. Worse, the disease was spreading as well. Now, nearly a dozen people had come down with it. What made the situation even worse was that so little was known of it other than some of its symptoms. With the disease seeming to spread without knowing why Trent was hard pressed to do something to calm all the residents of the castle, including the knights and their families, the workers and attendants and all those necessary to make the kingdom run smoothly. So far, Trent noted, the disease seemed to be limited to those who lived or worked in the many suites and rooms of the castle. There was no word of anyone from outside its gates contracting it, though Trent knew that the peasants often kept to themselves about such things.

He called a meeting, a large one. It included ten of his twelve royal knights, minus Daniel and also Richard. Besides the knights he called in his royal advisers. One of the knights suggested naming it "sleeping sickness," and while it was maybe not the most appropriate as there were other specifics like sore throat, high fever, coughing and often a roiling stomach and throwing up, that was what they called it. 

The discussion went round and round, yet there were no solutions brought forth and few resolutions were decided on other than trying to quarantine anyone showing symptoms. The problem they grappled with is that a person could possibly pass on the disease before any symptoms occurred. In the end, Trent felt rather helpless and for a man of action that was difficult.

In their own home, Trent had decided to take on the task of going to the great hall each day to get their food. Both he and Cara had decided it would be safer if only one person went and by all means they would not take their children there until all sign of the disease had passed. But two days later when Trent returned with their food he also brought bad news.

"The disease is still spreading," he told Cara as he came through the door. Shaking his head he added, "and now two young children have died."

"Oh no, Trent! Do you know the families?"

"One of them. A young daughter of one of our knights, Emery. We have discharged him from all duties on the field. The other family I don't know."

Cara shook her head as she busied herself getting the children ready to eat. She gave Trent a worried look. She was glad it was not one of their children but concerned that it could be. Yet, for now, she was thankful they were safe.

But the situation within the castle with its hundreds of people only got worse. Within two days time, more and more people had contracted it. Cara knew Trent felt personally terrible about the whole situation and she tried to comfort him, knowing there was nothing he could do.

As for Trent, he took to doing rigorous training with the knights, something he did at times to keep himself in top shape, but now he was out on the field with them every other day. Cara knew it was his way of forgetting for a time the trouble within his kingdom.

One thing gave Cara some comfort. In her concern for her sister she had the night before slipped a missive under her door, a get well note to tell her she was thinking of her, praying for her and hoping she would soon recover. When she awoke in the morning she found a folded note slipped under the door of their suite. On opening it and reading she was pleased. It was written in Richard's hand, not Evie's. It read:

Thank you for your loving wishes for Evie. I am glad to say that while she is still weak, she is gradually getting better and is now able to take some food and keep it down. I really do believe the worst is over for your sister and we are both looking forward to the time when we can without worry rejoin you and Trent and everyone else and go on living life without fear. As for myself, somehow I seem to have been spared for I have no symptoms at all. Still, I have learned that the curse is still spreading within the castle, but we both pray that it will pass by your door and never come into your lives. Richard

Cara folded the letter and smiled. She was so happy to know that Evie seemed to be recovering. It was good furthermore to know in a personal way that contracting the sleeping sickness was not a death warrant, that people recovered, at least healthy people seemed to. Still, that did not in the least diminish the grave concern she felt for Kirah and Brendan. She vowed to do anything and everything possible to try to make sure they were not exposed to it.

* * *

On the knight field Trent gave his all, as he usually did with the drills designed to make a knight strong as well as quick in battle. In the individual exercises, using the wooden swords for practice, his friends including Justin noted how Trent seemed particularly zealous, as if he were actually fighting on a battleground against real enemies. But that was Trent. He almost always gave his all on the field. Now, with the dreaded disease looming over the whole kingdom, to his friends he seemed even more intense.

But somehow on this particular day, Trent felt something was amiss. As much as he tried he felt he couldn't get into his groove. He felt weaker and didn't know why . Finally, as the training for the day was ending, he realized he was unusually tired. Taking off his helmet and protective gear he was careful not to speak directly to any of his friends. Coughing a little and with sudden lethargy he made his way alone to his and Cara's suite. Somehow the guard was not there and he knocked while at the same time saying, "Don't open the door."

Cara heard the knocking and knew it was Trent's voice. "Darling what is it? Why don't you come in?"

"Cara, I love you. I can barely stand, but I dare not come in. I've got it."

"Trent! Oh, no! Trent, I love you so much."

"I love you too."

"But Trent, you need to rest. I've heard that's the one thing they say can help. Go to the doctors."

"No. They can't do anything. I'm going to Daniel's suite."

"Yes. I'll send someone to you."

"No, not today. I just have to lie down. Goodbye, Cara."

Cara stood on the other side of the door her arms raised helplessly against it. Tears began to trickle down her cheeks. She longed to take her husband in her arms to hold and care for him but she dare not take the chance of infecting their children. "Goodbye, Trent," she answered him as she heard him slowly walk away.

"Dada!" she heard from the kitchen. It was Kirah, her hearing was so good.

"No, Kirah," she told her. "Your father is not coming home today." 

Author note: Hey, guys, hope you liked this part. But I've made a mistake. Calling Trent's friend Patrick instead of Daniel. Guess I'm human and not a robot. Sorry for any confusion. Daniel is the one who went to Augsburg and then the day after returning got the "sleeping sickness."