9

I sat at one end of the table. Farley sat on the left side of me while a lady sat across from me at the other end of the table. I played with my hair as the lady stared bullets at me. Well, that's how it felt anyway. I realized I didn't check if Bookie replied back... But it would be rude to check at the table, wouldn't it?

"So...your a friend of Farley's from school?" the lady said making me look up.

"U-Um.," I said glancing over at Farley who was too busy slipping food under the table and you guessed it, his dog. "Yes," I said and she nodded before stuck her fork in a piece of broccoli.

"That's good, sorry to startle you earlier." she chuckled before eating the broccoli then her good mood faded as she glanced over at Farley glaring.

"Just giving him the bones," Farley said standing up but she snapped her fingers pointing Down making him grumble before sitting back down.

"So anyways dear," she said now looking back at me. "What is your name?" she asked and I played with my food.

"Oakely," I mumbled softly and she nodded as she finished her food.

"That is a unique name," she said as she stood up grabbing her plate and I smiled a bit before finally tasting some of the food on my plate.

Which taste pretty good. I would eat more broccoli if she cooked it. I chewed as I savored the taste then swallowed.

"Thank you," I said and she smiled as she took Farley's plate then headed to the kitchen.

Farley and I made eye contact and I felt my face heat up. I quickly looked down at my plate and begin eating again. Eventually, Farley left the room and when I was in the kitchen Farley came in wearing a leather jacket with fur in it. It looked pretty warm.

"Ready to go? It's kinda late," he said as I nodded after putting my now clean plate up where other clean plates were, and he glanced at it then raised an eyebrow amused.

"You seriously cleaned your plate?" he asked and I walked over feeling my face heat up.

"Well, she made me dinner, the least I could do was clean it," I said and he laughed softly.

"You sure are something Oakely," he said as he started heading for the front door and I followed.

Pepper came over to me and I smiled. I bent down and itched his ears as he panted with his tongue out. He wagged his tail and I giggled.

"Bye bye Pepper," I said smiling gently then stood up as Farley opened the door and Pepper instantly went out on the porch.

"Heading out Pam!" Farley yelled before closing the door behind us and locked it.

Farley grinned at Pepper then whistled. "Come on Pep, stay close to us," he said and went down the stairs which I followed after Pepper.

It took a while but we eventually walked to my house. Farley was staring at the tree in our front yard as I walked up the steps pulling out my key.

"Bye Farley," I said waving slightly awkwardly.

He glanced over at me and waved a bit. "Bye Oakely," he said and turned away whistling as Pepper followed behind him.

I smiled a bit then unlocked the door. As soon as I did I was hugged tightly by my mother.

"Oh, my gosh my baby;" I heard her say and she pulled back with a tear-stained face. "Where were you?" she asked as dad walked over to her side frowning.

"You didn't pick up our calls," he said and I blinked then dug into my pocket for my phone.

Thirteen missed phone calls. My phone wasn't even on vibrate. Completely silenced, and Bookie text me ugh. I frowned looking up at them.