33

With Farley's advice, I think I could figure this out on my own maybe. So as I worked hard on my school work I thought about what he said and thought about Bookie. I finished math, band, and history homework first. I eventually finished my science homework and just had photography homework left. I did do some pictures but I only had two left that I hadn't taken. One picture I haven't even sketched out which was the last one because I had no clue what to do.

"Oakely!" I heard my dad call and it snapped me out of my thoughts about school.

"Coming dad!" I yelled out and got out of bed.

I checked dad's room first. He wasn't in there so I headed downstairs. Looking around first before going inside the kitchen. I saw my dad getting out plates from the cabinets. Walking over I helped him get some out.

"Thanks, bug," he said ruffling my hair and I huffed as he made our plates.

Later on, during dinner dad was telling me about work. Listening to him talk about work was always interesting but today he didn't seem to be enthusiastic when speaking. I told him about school and he seemed happy whenever I talked about school. It didn't make sense to me why he would be. But I guess me thinking his talk about his job is interesting is strange to him too. As long as our day was okay or better that's all that matters.

"So everyone says I like Bookie." I laughed while scooping up some macaroni into my mouth and dad's shot up from his plate landing on me.

"Do you?" he asked and I chewed looking at him curiously before swallowing.

"Yes? I like everyone I guess." I shrugged before scooping some more.

"I mean in another sense," he said as I was about to put the spoon with the macaroni on it in my mouth.

"You mean romantically, right?" I huffed with my cheeks getting hot and I'm pretty sure I rolled my eyes.

"Well do you?" he asked his eyes just staring at me, it felt like he wasn't even blinking which creeped me out so I set my spoon down on my plate.

"I'm not sure," I say softly giving him direct eye contact and he lets out a long breath, seems like he was holding it in for a while. "What?" I asked a bit of a mix of annoyance and confusion, which I seemed to always be confused but the first was new to me or just rare.

And he laughed, just laughed sitting there. It confused me even more. Many thoughts popped up into my brain at once and I couldn't concentrate on what my thoughts even were. I just know my feelings felt all bunched up and was all turning into anger. My face felt really hot, no my whole body felt hot. Either by anger or embarrassment. I don't know why I felt the way I did but I felt it. And I didn't like it. I opened my mouth to say something but he beat me there and I'm glad he did. I'm not sure what I was going to say and I don't think him or I would want to know.

"You sound like me at your age," he said a smile spreading across his face and I looked at him waiting for him to tell me more. "Might be surprising but you remind me a lot of myself. Of course, you are truly unique because I knew a lot more at your age than you probably do," he said and I huffed in response. "But I can say when I said I didn't know if I liked someone I usually didn't well until your mother came along.." the atmosphere around us seemed to drop and grow quiet but it left as soon as it arrived. "So what do you think?"

"I don't know," I grumbled looking down at my plate and started poking at my food.

I don't know why but I didn't want to look at him. And I didn't like this attention. Didn't know why I felt the way I did but I just did. That has been happening a lot lately. Same with Bookie...except what I felt I actually liked. This, on the other hand, I did not.

"You don't know what you think?" he asked again and I glanced at him.

"Well not really... I know I like how I feel with Bookie unlike how I feel now when being bothered about this." I muttered and eventually actually scooped some food onto my spoon to eat it.

"Well, then we don't have to talk about this if you don't want to," he said as I chewed.

"Thanks dad," I mumbled after swallowing and he reached over ruffling my hair. "Hey!" I huffed and he chuckled leaning back with his hands up.

"Alright alright I'll leave your hair alone," he says.

"Too late you do the crime you do the time," I say throwing him a playful glare but I'm smiling and I can't help it, neither can he because he's fighting a smile as he fakes a groan.

After dinner, I was on my bed trying to sketch out my fifth picture. The other three were glued onto a poster board in chronological order. I left space for the first and last picture I hadn't taken yet. To take the first picture I would need to make the cake but I don't want dad catching me. It was getting late now so maybe I could wait until he's asleep. The fifth one I was still out of ideas. Luckily I had until Valentines Day to figure this out. Wasn't exactly a lot of time but some time is better than none at all.

Once it was late enough I checked in on dad. He was in his bed fast asleep. His laptop was closed but I decided to out it up for him quietly to not wake him up. After that, I told Bookie I had to go. He helped me past the time and wait until it was late. He knows all about my plan for the first picture and how I don't know what to do for the fifth picture on my assignment. Bookie gave me some suggestions but none just seemed to work for me.

But what matters now is the cake. The fifth picture can wait until later. Once in the kitchen, I got all I needed to make the cake checking the recipe on my phone constantly. I wanted everything to be perfect. As I followed each step I also kept good watch and my hearing seemed to be very sensitive at that moment. I crept up the stairs quickly but quietly multiple times when I thought dad was awake. Mom ended up even calling me when I was making the cake but I made sure to keep things discreet. But I made the cake with neither of my parents finding out. I took a picture smiling to myself for my hard and fine work.

"Now I just have to give it to mom and dad," I said to myself grinning and was about to pick it up and that's when the realization hit me hard like a pile of bricks were dropped on me.

How can I give them the cake if mom isn't here? I know I was late...by it just occurring to me. But I was still living in the time where we lived in the same house. Who knew now I would break down about their divorce. I kind of felt stupid for crying but I did. And in the end, I was cutting the cake in half so mom could have one piece and dad gets the other.

So this will possibly be the last update for a while. If not though I do plan to try to update once a week. Right now work is getting tough on me though so it might be once a month. Hopefully not. Maybe I should do once every two weeks. And this is for not only this book but the other two that aren't completed as well I hope. Haha I keep adding hope just in case things don't go as planned. Anyway have a good day/night!