25

School was going to start that's what I reminded myself throughout New Year's Eve. My grandma was in the kitchen with my aunt and mom was in there randomly. I sat on the couch mostly with my uncle. He was my mom's sister, might sound mean but I don't think Aunt Tammy would be able to be in a relationship. She's very high strong and well she can be very blind to others feelings.

"So Oakely how's living with ya father?" My uncle asked and I cringed a bit.

"Go-Good," I replied smiling hard.

I really felt awkward talking to my uncle about this. Or talking to any of my mother's side family members for the most part. I didn't want to hear or cause more drama about my dad and mom.

"Ha! Good? So you like ya father, well that's good. I liked him too. I hoped they could have worked things out but maybe they still can." my uncle said and for the first time over here I smiled genuinely.

"That means a lot to hear. I hoped for the same thing and maybe I also hope for it still. But whatever happens, I still love them both." I responded honestly.

"That's good that's good." he nodded as my mom walked into the room looking displeased.

"They kicked me out of the kitchen again, saying I almost burned the pie." she huffed taking oven mittens off her hands.

"Not a surprise your not much of a baker like ma and sis." my uncle chuckled earning a glare from mom.

"It's okay mom, I'm sure grandma and aunt Tam don't want you to get hurt," I tried to reassure her.

"No, we just don't want her to hurt the apple caramel pie!" Aunt Tam hollered and I rolled my eyes as mom grumbled to herself.

"Son we should make a pie." mom suggested turning to me.

"Me? Bake?" I blinked and she grabbed my wrist pulling me up.

"Yes, that way they both can teach us," she mumbled to me so no one else heard.

"Oh okay," I said slowly and nodded.

Grandma was very pleased to hear I wanted to learn how to make a pie. Mom, she hardly bats an eye at but Aunt Pam sure did as she pulled out the other food that was for dinner. I washed my hands and got to wear grandma's old apron as she taught me the steps of making the crust then the yummy part. And by yummy part, I mean how to put what you want in the pie and how to prepare it. Afterward, she showed me two ways how to cover it up then she made me sit it in the oven and start a timer on my phone.

"You'll make the cherry pie so I can see if you learned or not," she said as she wiped off her hands on a towel after washing her hands.

My hands got clammy as Aunt Tam pulled out the ingredients I needed to make the pie. Grandma set up the fruit for me so I only would have to put it inside. But still, the rest was up to me. I forgot mom was there since she was just watching or trying to get a taste of the pies Grandma made with Aunt Tam's help. Eventually, I had to make the crust which I think I did well and I got the cherries in. I wanted Grandma to be proud of me so I started doing the second way to cover up the pie that seemed a bit hard, it looked like a ladder pattern. It took a longer time but I just hope it turned out right as I put the pie in the oven.

"Now we must wait for the product." grandma said as she shooed mom out the kitchen with a big bowl of potatoes.

"I can help set up the table too," I said washing my hands.

"No need." grandma dismissed me shaking her head and her hand. "Your aunt and mom have it handled. Come sit with your grandma over here and watch your creation come to life." she motioned me over to the seat across from her but near the oven to watch. And of course, I listened to her orders and sat in the chair.