35

Our concert was going to be outside. It was getting a bit chilly and I was also shaking from being nervous. This was the last time I was going to sing. I wondered if anyone else was nervous as I was or if I was alone. The walk to the stage was a bit tiring since it was kind of far. We finally got there and once people were settled down I got more anxious.

"It's okay." I heard a voice say and I turned to see Farley looking at me.

Clyde nodded squeezing my shoulder. I mumbled thanks to the two. I tried shaking the nervousness off. Vic suggested it right as Ms.Housewright was going to get us started. I took a deep breath as we started playing Sugar, Sugar on our instruments. Eventually, I stopped with some friends, some other guys, and girls so we moved in near to the mics started to sing as the rest of our class played. I was a bit nervous at first and ended up making some trip-ups but I wasn't the only one. We ended up all laughing a bit through the song. Ms. Housewright did not approve but the claps from the audience said they did.

The next song was Bleeding Love. Didn't know I would be singing solo again. This time I didn't have to play my instrument and just had to sing. I tried my best to hit the notes, kind of wishing Ms.Housewright picked someone else since I wasn't sure if my voice could hit the high notes. Not to mention I wasn't sure if my voice was louder than the music. But the applause at the end relaxed me and I smiled bowing before getting in my spot. All Of Me I knew I wasn't singing but I wasn't sure what people would. I wondered if Ms.Housewright even had this all planned already or not.

I started playing the music with my other classmates as Vic and Farley stepped up to the mics. My eyes left the audience and lingered on them. Vic started out and I ended up humming with him instead of playing a couple of times while nodding my head. I didn't know Vic was good at singing. Eventually, Farley cut him off at the note that was held on longer and my eyes widen. There were a few gasps that went around the audience. Farley took it on from there then Vic and Farley started singing together. Then something cold fell on me. I looked up and so did some other students. The music started to be heard less and there were gasps again. Snow was falling down from the sky lightly.

Or at least it did at first. Luckily it snowed harder at our last song. It was getting pretty cold though and most of us were not wearing clothes for this kind of weather. The news said nothing about snow today. That's what dad kept on saying. We all ended up separating when it began snowing harder. I bumped into Vic though and we both complimented each other's voice before heading separate ways.

"I have a blanket if not more in the car," Dad told me with his arm around my shoulders, holding me close who we both had warmth.

"O-Okay." I shivered a bit leaning more into his warmth as we walked through the snow that started piling up.

Dad was looking for the car. And it took longer than I thought it would. Sure he was using the beeper thing but so was many others. I needed a distraction from this cold. He sent me inside the school building like many were sent to while cars were looks for or people waited for rides. I started walking my way back to the school when I felt my phone vibrate. Pulling it out while walking I saw Bookie had just now sent a reply to my text.

"Nevermind Bug! I found the car!" I heard dad say and I shook my head smiling then turned around heading back to him while reading the text.

BookerBooker: Sorry I was busy! But break a leg. Not literally though! I don't want you hurt! But I'm sure you already knew that...I hope? You know I'm just going to shut my mouth before I say anything else stupid.

I laughed and felt the ends of my lips curved up. And it hurt because I'm sure I was smiling hard. Way too hard and it was weird. My heard was flip-flopping as I went up to dad and he practically threw a blanket over me. It covered my head a bit and I pulled it back before getting in the car.

"It's so cold." I shivered closing the door as dad got in the car.

"I know bug." he agreed groaning and turned on the heat but it was still cold.

I shivered again and started texting a reply to Bookie. Glancing up from my phone I saw dad looking at me. I quickly looked away as the car started moving. I glanced back at my school before looking back at my phone, continuing to type.

"Bug do you really like this boy?" dad asked out of nowhere making me suck in a breath too fast causing me to cough hard putting down my phone. "Sorry but the way your all smiley while texting this person I can't help but think you have a crush on them," he said with a shrug but his eyes lingered on me in the rearview mirror.

"I thought we-" I began to say.

"I know I wasn't going to bring it up but I feel like if you don't realize it yourself you are going to get hurt." he interrupted looking at me in the eyes in the mirror and I glanced away.

My heart felt like it was trying to pound out of my chest while my hands felt clammy. Heat rose to my cheeks as I looked out the window at the snow that fell down. It was silent the rest of the ride home. I didn't check my phone for Bookie's texts.

When we got home I got out the car and watched the snow fall at my feet instead of looking at dad. I didn't want him to look at me either so I used the blanket as a hood to hide my face. Walking behind him I shoved my hands in my pockets even though they felt so warm from being clammy as dad unlocked the door and let me go in first.

This new feeling was making me all warm inside. And now I kind of hated it- Well dislike it. What I disliked about it is...that it's making my heart beat quicker, beating for someone I barely knew. I don't even know what they look like but here they are making my heart skip a beat- not literally. I just don't know how to describe it. My world is shaking, he was another storm brought into my life. He was the topping on the cake. Tugging at my heartstrings, making me smile so easily.

This wasn't fair, but I couldn't just keep ignoring the fact that what I felt for Bookie wasn't something I have felt before. And maybe....he wasn't he only one I felt this way about. That's a nerve-racking thought.

"I like Bookie," I spoke out softly as dad locked the front door.

"I know Bug," he said walking over to me and rubbed my back.

"No, I know that I like him more than I have ever liked anyone. This is a different like."

~ Man did this take a while to finish. Anyway, I'm glad I did! Also, my book Coffee Stains if you ever heard it is now on an app/website called Dreame (I love the color scheme and the unicorn). It needs to be edited but if you would like to support me go read it! If it does well I can possibly get paid for it. I've also made a patreon account, kind of dry since its new patreon.com/ana_beans (also on my bio) and thank you so much for reading! ❤