14

"Throwback Thursday." Vic sang as we were leaving school.

I had a Mickey Mouse shirt on and Cory had a Mickey Mouse hoodie on. Clyde wore a comic shirt while Farley wore a Pinky and the Brain shirt. Vic wore a Wicked shirt and Lily wore an old Astro boy shirt.

Today the school day went by fast. But so did this month, just next Monday it'll be October. My birthday month...which I haven't told the others my birthday yet.

"We're all throwback as the ladies holler back and all the men staring at us with envy." Cory sang and Lily rolled her eyes before linking their arms.

"Come on Cory, we're gonna miss the bus," Lily said and Cory pouted with pink cheeks following her.

"Hey, wait up!" Vic yelled and waved at us before running after them.Farley shook his head as Clyde laughed.

"So we all get picked up today huh?" I asked glancing at them and they both shook their head.

"I should get going before my his leaves me," Clyde said and I nodded. "See ya!" he said running off and I turned to see Farley waving as he walked across the street.

I pouted to myself slightly. Everyone else is usually gone and it's me waiting for my dad alone. Which speaking of my dad....today I'm going to talk to him about Bookie. I felt bad for talking to Bookie last night...okay, in the morning. Last night I felt happy to talk to him. But I will also have to talk to my mom about him soon too.

A loud honk interrupted my thoughts startling me, making me jump slightly. I glanced up to see my dad in his car and walked over to the car then opened the door getting in. After my seat belt on I started chewing my lip.

How was I suppose to start the conversation?

"Uh...dad?" I spoke up and he glanced up at the mirror to look at me.

"Hmm?" he replied.

"So I met this guy....and he's nice..." I said looking down at my feet that seemed to be pretty interesting at the moment.

"Okay..?" he said starting to come to a stop which told me he was at a red light.

"And he's....he's...I met him on an app." I said looking up and he didn't say anything.

I began to chew my lip waiting for his response. The light eventually turned green. I looked down slowly.

"Is that so...? Well just be careful, okay?" is all he said and began to drive and my heart pounded.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I felt lighter, light as a feather. I was sitting up straight and felt joy pour inside me. The corners of my lips raised, so I knew I was smiling. I was so relieved and sat back in the seat. Maybe talking to mom would be easy too.

As soon as I got home dad started making soup, we didn't have a lot of food at home today. I ran upstairs to my room and flopped on my bed. I realized I didn't use my closet much and started to feel slightly bad. Dad had paid for it and I wasn't using it. I got up and took my phone with me then went inside the closet.

After I changed clothes I started painting white dandelions on the wall. I thought it would be a nice addition. I knew my painting wouldn't be perfect but it would at least seem nice to me, hopefully. I felt my leg vibrate and I blushed yelping as I jumped slightly. I looked down to see the shape of my phone in my pocket. I huffed pulling my phone out and held the brush in my other hand.

Of course, it was your phone, silly Oakely. I rolled my eyes at myself. I got frightened for nothing...well I guess it was more of a surprise.

I turned on my phone as I heard loud footsteps. Before I could glance at my notifications like I wanted I turned my head. I screamed at the rush of footsteps and practically jumped out of my skin when dad came out of nowhere.