Cracks in the Ice

Lauren was finally finished with her homework. It was Saturday afternoon and she didn't have anything to do...as usual. She was a little bummed that her Coach had cancelled practice that night, so she decided to use the frozen over pond in her backyard to skate around, practice a little, and work off some stress. Things had been awkward as usual with Camila, but each day it was becoming harder and harder to contain her feelings for the young brunette.

The hockey player changed into her long johns before throwing her team sweat pants over top to keep warm. She went into her closet and found one of her old jerseys. Lauren quickly threw it over her head before running down the stairs. The raven haired girl went into the garage and pulled out her old skates and one of her sticks. She slid on her shoes, feet pushing the heels down, and walked down the shoveled path in her backyard.

Lauren smiled to herself as she made it over to the pond. She leaned her stick against the chair and stepped out of her shoes to put on her skates. The girl quickly laced up her skates and tossed the puck on the ice. She felt most at home on the ice. It was her favorite place to be, especially in her own backyard. Every year her dad would build a pond in the backyard for her to practice at home, and Lauren loved it.

Standing up on her skates, Lauren put on her hockey gloves before grabbing her stick and stepping on the ice. The hockey played instantly felt herself relax as she used her well-practiced movements to move around the ice. She skated around the ice a few times to warm herself up before heading over to the puck. She grabbed it with her stick and practiced her stick handling while just skating around.

This was Lauren's favorite time of year...and there was something about being outside on the ice by herself. It was just so peaceful. She took the puck and skated toward the net she had dragged out a few days prior. She skated around and shot the puck into the net before stopping in front of it.

In the house next door, Camila was on her laptop at her desk in her room. She was on Skype with Michael while attempting to write her English essay that was due in two weeks. It was unusual for Camila to get a head start on her homework, but because it was snowing outside and everything was iced over, she couldn't really go anywhere. The cheerleader loved the snow. It was beautiful, actually.

The girl got up from her bed and walked over to her chair to find the notebook she needed in her backpack. As she stepped toward her chair, she stopped close to the small window in her basement room as she saw movement outside. Camila smiled softly to herself seeing Lauren was in her backyard skating around on the pond. She thought fondly of the times her and Lauren would play around in the snow back in grade school. Camila missed the closeness she used to have with the older girl. The cheerleader was brought out of her thoughts as she could hear her boyfriend calling for her, but she continued to ignore Michael and watched her neighbor for a moment. She couldn't take her eyes off the raven haired beauty effortlessly skating her way around the pond.

Camila turned back around from admiring the older girl and walked back over to her laptop. It was only four in the afternoon. She looked back toward the window where she could see Lauren and smiled. She looked like she was having a lot of fun. And honestly, Camila was bored. Talking with Michael bored her. She quickly told him that she had to go and logged off, saving her essay and putting her books away before standing up to walk out of her room. She wanted to surprise Lauren and watch her skate around for a bit. She hoped the older girl wouldn't mind some company.

The cheerleader walked up the stairs and into the kitchen. As she started to warm up some water, she opened two packages of hot cocoa. Camila quickly finished up the hot chocolate that she was going to bring Lauren to help the girl warm up some. She poured the steaming liquid into a thermos, capped it off and set it by her back door. Putting on her coat, snow boots, and scarf, she grabbed the hot chocolate and walked outside, approaching the frozen pond.