Peace Offering

Lauren slipped on her boots and jacket before putting on some gloves and opening the garage. She had volunteered to shovel the driveway for her parents, wanting to be outside for a while and just be alone with her thoughts. Lauren put her ear buds in and started playing her music before grabbing the shovel and starting at the top of the driveway. It was going to take her while, but she was perfectly okay with that.

Camila hadn't really talked to anyone for a couple of days, not even her friends or boyfriend. She had been trying to figure out what was going on in her head regarding Lauren, and to do that, she needed to be alone. She ran a tired hand through her hair as she looked out the living room window. Lauren had been shoveling the snow on her driveway for the past hour. This was one of the worst winters Camila had ever experienced. She watched as her neighbor worked on the driveway, and her feelings for the older girl started coming back full force. She looked down and played with her fingers, thinking of what she should do. She had feelings for Lauren. Strong feelings and she messed all of that up the previous weekend.

Just like the younger girl, Lauren had been having a hard time since her and Camila kissed... She really liked the girl, but she didn't want to get hurt caring about a girl who didn't know what was going on in her own head. Lauren had no idea how much time had passed, but before she knew it she was nearly three quarters of the way done with the driveway.

Camila continued to watch as Lauren made a large dent in shoveling; she decided that it was time to talk to Lauren, especially before the girl was finished and went back in. She needed to talk to Lauren about what had happened. She stood up and started to heat up some water, putting it in a travel mug with some cocoa powder on the bottom of it. She put some whipped cream on top when she was done stirring it and got ready to go outside. She put on her boots, hat, scarf and jacket before taking a deep breath and walked outside. Camila walked over towards the older girl, travel mug in hand, "Lauren?" She said quietly. The hockey played didn't respond. She sighed and considered just going back inside, but then the cheerleader noticed the girl had earphones in. She tucked one of the mugs in the crook of her elbow and gently tapped on Lauren's shoulder.

Lauren continued to shovel. She was almost done and she just wanted to go back inside and lay in her bed...what she had been doing the last few days. She walked forward and tossed a shovel full onto the large pile. Just as she was about to do the last part she felt a tapping on her shoulder. "What?" Lauren said turning around, pulling her one of her ear buds out. "Oh." She said sighing. She really didn't want to talk to Camila right now, but the younger girl had a knack for catching her in positions where she can't just leave, "Can I help you with something?" She asked before turning around and doing the last strip of snow on the driveway. She tossed the snow on the grass and turned around again to face the girl, waiting for her to say something.

The cheerleader looked down when Lauren greeted her in a cold manner. "I um... I was hoping that we could talk. I brought a peace offering." She held up the mugs. "I know you really enjoyed my hot chocolate the last time you were out in the cold." She said awkwardly, not knowing where she stood with the other girl.

The older girl sighed and looked at Camila. She couldn't deny that she loved the girl's hot chocolate. She took the travel mug from Camila's hand and walked up to the garage, setting the shovel inside of it before looking down at the girl toward the bottom of the driveway. She sighed to herself before taking a drink. Lauren hated not talking to Camila, but she didn't want to get hurt, and her mind was telling her that was all that was going to happen. Deciding to give the girl the benefit of the doubt, she walked down and lightly grabbed Camila by the wrist and pulled her toward her front porch so they could sit down. Lauren helped Camila up the steps, making sure the girl wouldn't slip. She sat down on the swing and just sipped on her hot chocolate. She sighed and just kept looking straight forward as Camila started to talk.