Mother Knows Best

Camila couldn't believe it. She took three of them. Three. She felt another tear fall from her face as she looked at the tests lined up on her bathroom sink. This couldn't be happening. She was pregnant with Lauren's child. She knew that she missed dinner and that her mom would be wondering why. She took the first test right after school. She curled up in bed and gripped one of them. She couldn't be a mother. She wasn't ready. She was a cheerleader. She was doing great in school and had plans. She had a lot of plans. She wasn't ready.

Sinu was downstairs cleaning up the mess after dinner.  She handed the dishes to her husband to dry as she spoke, "Can you finish up?  I'm going to go check on Karla."  She said before kissing his cheek and heading downstairs.  Sinu walked down into her eldest daughter's room and turned the corner to see the girl lying in her bed facing away from the stairs.

"You missed dinner."  She said as she walked into her daughter's room and stood there, waiting for Camila's response.

Camila heard her mother's footsteps.  She always walked a certain way, confident yet gentle. She took a deep breath and cleared her throat, quickly hiding the pregnancy test. She nodded. "I wasn't feeling well," she whispered, wiping at her eyes.

Sinu heard Camila's response. She walked over to her daughter's bed and sat down, reaching out to gently brush Camila's hair. "What's wrong, mija?" She asked as she turned her hand over to check her daughter's forehead. "You don't feel warm." Sinu said softly.

The younger girl was terrified that her mom would react badly if she found out. She needed to tell Lauren... Oh, God... Lauren. She felt her breath hitch at the thought and mentally shook it off. "Can you just leave me alone so I can sleep this off?"

Sinu chuckled softly, "I'm your mother. I'm not going to leave my daughter alone just because she says so." She said as she brought one leg up, sitting on it as she looked at the girl. "Did you and Lauren have a fight?" Sinu asked. She hadn't seen the girl around the last couple of days.

Camila knew that her mother wasn't going to leave. She never did. She was always there for Camila. Always. She shook her head. "No... I just... haven't been feeling well," she whispered, "I told Lauren I'd see her sometime this weekend," she finished.

Sinu wasn't buying Camila's 'not feeling well' at all. She knew her daughter better than that. She nodded her head when Camila talked about Lauren. She really did love the two of them together; Lauren was like a daughter to her, and their families got along very well. Sinu decided not to push and just let Camila say what she needed to.

The cheerleader was scared that everyone she loved would leave her; her friends, her family, Lauren... The thought was in the back of her mind about whether Lauren would she even stick around to help take care of the baby? She let out a sob and put her head on her mothers lap.

The older woman felt her daughter's head end up in her lap. Sinu ran her fingers through Camila's hair as she heard the girl sobbing. She let her daughter cry for a moment before speaking.

"What's wrong, Karla?" She asked as she moved her fingers under Camila's chin, forcing her daughter to look up at her. "I haven't seen you cry like this in a long time. Háblame, mija."

Camila was terrified. What if Lauren left her? What if her parents kicked her out? Sure, her mom was also a young mother. But her mother was stronger than she was. "I'm so sorry," she whispered when she forced her to look up at her.

"I'm so, so sorry..." Camila said, shaking her head and wiping at the tears on her face. She felt like she was losing everything. She wasn't ready to be a mom. And she was terrified to tell her own mother. "I messed up, mom."