×twenty nine×

"Apartment 209..." I said to myself as I came up to the room. I knocked a few times before clearing my throat, "Hello? Miss McLoughlin? My name is Y/n L/n..."

There was silence so i tried again, "I am a friend of Sean's.. I wanted to speak to you. He.. He is in the hospital.. In a coma."

Sudden the door opened, but only enough to see a face, "He's... In a coma?"

"Yes.. And.. They're afraid he may not come out of it."

She stared at me with the similar blue eyes Jack had. She looked down at the ground before shutting the door. I heard a loud click before the door opened fully to reveal a petite woman with thinning gray hair, wrinkles, and dark circles beneath her eyes. Needless to say she looked like shit.

She motioned for me to come inside and sit. She sat on the other side of the room in her rocking chair. She pulled out a box of cigarettes and pulled one out, lighting it before she put it in her mouth. I looked around to the dense and dark room. Ripped wallpaper and lots of pictures stray randomly on the wall.

The smell of cigarettes irritating my nose as she finally spoke, "You're a friend of his?"

"Yeah... We have known each other for awhile now.. I'm.. I'm sorry about his being in the hospital..." I worriedly muttered.

"Why is he in the hospital?"

"Erm.. well, he got shot during court-"

"Of course.. those idiots.."

I looked at her, clearing my throat, "E-Excuse me?"

"I mean those damn police. Idiots can't keep anyone safe in a courtroom! Unbelievable. This is why Sean was exposed to the crap I went through years ago."

I bit my lip, a hint of curiosity showing as I said, "Exposed to what?"

"Well, what's your name again?"

"Y/n.."

"Well Y/n, let me tell you something.. choose wisely with the men you choose to be with. Don't be dumb like me. I chose a guy who had terrible anger.. sadly.. he made my son that way too. The jack ass.." she stared down at the ground as she placed the cigarette back in her mouth.

"So... It's true? He has.. anger management issues?"

"Oh yeah.. he is too much like his father... But he wasn't one to like his father, if you know what I'm saying."

"W-What do you mean?" I hated to ask, but it came out. Sean's mother shook her head as she frowned, "His father..." She sighed before looking up at me, her eyes seeming to fill with tears.

"After work, every single day.. he was always angry.. it could be stupid little things, but they made him angry.. and.. he let it all out on me.." she paused as she put out the cigarette and knocked the ashes into a small tray with her pinky, "Sean didn't like that... So he attempted to stop him.."

No... Don't tell me...

"His father started beating him.. to make sure he would stay quiet.. and to make him stay out of things with me and him. His anger was already bad because of genetics, but because he felt he couldn't do anything to help he became even more angry. He always got into trouble from then on... so much that police had to get involved.. and even after the police figured out they did nothing! Those damned people do nothing!!"

My heart was crushed as the thought of someone hurting Jack passed through my mind again and again. He knew all along how it felt to go through those awful terrors each and every day..

"Sean.. he.. he's been a good man to me.. I hope you understand he is getting better."

His mother smiled slightly, not looking at me, but at the wall full of pictures. She stood up and strutted over to one of the few pictures that was straight and took it off the wall. She took a glance at it, before passing it over to me. It was a picture of Jack with his mom, smiling so brightly you would never guess his dad beat him every day.

"Even after everything, he still had happy times. He refused to give up. It made me proud.."

To my surprise I found a year falling onto the picture and realized I was crying. I quickly wiped my face, morphing myself back into a happy young woman. 

At that moment my phone began to ring. I gave the picture back to her as I pulled my phone out. It was.... The hospital? I didn't remember putting them into my contacts...

I answered the call and placed the phone to my ear, "Hello."

"Hello? Miss L/n? Sean McLoughlin's.... Erm... Girlfriend?"

I wish...

"No.. I'm just a really good friend of his.."

"Oh well... I have some news for you."

"What is it?"
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"WHAT?!?!"