Up in the sky

Demi

I just can't believe that she is having the seat next to me. What a coincidence. "If you are lucky I'll fall asleep soon" she says to me as she sits down and tries to get comfortable. "Oh, don't worry. I think you are really funny. Kind of chaotic, but really funny!" I say and wink at her.

She smiles at me and takes out her phone. She is talking to someone in a different language, I'm not quite sure, but I think it's German.

Justine

"Hallo Mama! Ich sitze bereits im Flieger und melde mich, sobald ich in LA gelandet bin! Liebe Grüße an alle! Tschüss!" I leave a message on mom's phone and hang up. She is probably at work. Demi looks at me and I explain "Oh, my mom! It's a promise from all of her kids to her, that we always have to call her before and after a flight. Although we are all grown up. Mom's, right?" I roll my eyes. "Do you speak German?" Demi asks me. "Yes I do.  I'm actually from Austria."

"Do all Austrians speak English fluently as well?" she asks. "Well, not that I know!" I answer grinning. "My dad's dad is born and raised in Canada. His mother was from Austria. When my grandfather was 18 years old he traveled to Austria to get to know his mother's country of birth. He met my grandmother in Austria, who is actually from Hungary. They started their family in Canada and moved to Austria when my dad was three. The English language is a big part of my family ever since. My dad only speaks English with me, though his German is perfect. I'm thankful for the opportunity to have two native languages." "Wow, your family is really international" she points out. "Yes, that's true. They are spread all over the world. I like that. I don't get to see them quite often, that's the only drawback!"

 "And why are you here in the US?" she wants to know. And I explain. About me and my time at university, finishing it and about my decision to go abroad. "You know I was really busy the last five years. All I was doing was learning, writing, studying. I had to attend lectures. It was exhausting, because next to it I wanted to earn money as well. So I worked in a kindergarten because that's what I always wanted to do since I am a eight. And I have really cool friends and an amazing family I also wanted to hang with. Not to forget my girlfriend... ex- girlfriend!" I say and look at Demi. She listens curious and nods her head.

"And last winter the relationship between Anna and me broke up." "I'm sorry about that!" she says. "Oh, it's ok, it wasn't meant to be. It's over now, and I am good. I just haven't found my soulmate yet. And I didn't want to wait for her and find me. So I decided to leave home for a year and conquer the world." I say laughing. "And here I am. Five months of my campaign of conquest are over, six just before me and I can only say, I'm loving every day. I really fell in love with America, well I haven't seen a lot of it, because I'm working, but I like people here. They are relaxed and easy going. And because I am a real country girl I enjoy myself living in cities like LA and New York. There is so much to see and explore!"

Demi

We are sitting next to each other about an hour now and I like listening to her story. She is driven and passionate and I like the sparkle in her eyes, when she talks about the things she likes. She is really into her work. The way she talks about "her" kids in kindergarten is super cute. She doesn't seem to be that tired anymore. I am really impressed about her courage for just leaving everything behind even it is just for a year. But she was happy back home with family and friends and though she decided to move here without anyone knowing. That's pretty amazing. I like the way she does not want to conceal her homosexuality. She seems to be really confident and comfortable with that. It is totally natural for her. I like that. I want to know more about her. "Tell me something about your family! Well, if you want to!"