Back at home

August 2012

Justine

One week of my stay in Austria is already over and I am so happy to be back. Seeing all those places I grew up, where I experienced so many adventures, became who I am today and were my family and friends are so close, is just indescribable.

The last week was very busy though. I spent my first night in my parents home. I grew up in this house and every inch of it is full of memories, that make me smile. It's a big house anyhow we were nine people living here, before we all moved out. Well accept for Isabel. She and her husband are living on the second floor with my little niece Sofie. They rebuild everything for their own needs as a family. My parents are living on the ground floor.

My mom was crying when I arrived there. She was happy to see me again, but sad to let me got at the end of the month. My mom! I love her. We were always very close. I admire her strength and power. She raised seven kids, she has a job, a big house. I don't really know how she did that all and never lost her sense of humor, her confidence and the overview. I owe her so much!

And my dad? He is the best dad on this planet! He was always the relaxed one. Nothing seems to stress him. He is an architect running his own business. He worked a lot when we were younger, but he always tried to spend time with us. Dad wanted to know everything. He wanted to see every picture we drew, we had to sing him all the new songs we've learned. I have a very strong connection with him. I think right after Lucas and Jody, my dad knows the most about me. I've told him almost everything. He was my superhero, and he still is!

So I slept between my parents the first night, 25 years old, but still enjoying it. I always did that when I was a kid. The first time I slept in my own bed alone, I was already 8 years old! I have six sisters and both of my parents. And a week has seven days. I had a plan for every day of the week and whom I shared the bed with. My sisters never mind, my parents neither. I loved it. I always had a special role in my family for being the youngest one. My sisters were very protective of me. And I really hated it. They still are and I still hate it. It was not always easy to make own experiences because one of them was always there to hold me and guide me. But on the other hand I always felt so loved. There was always one of them to talk to. Someone had always time for me to play. And I think I am so confident today because I always had to stand up for myself to save me from their overprotection.

I visited my grandparents and tried to spend a lot of time with them. All my sisters and their families came over for a big family barbeque. I was so pumped to see all my nieces and nephews again. They are growing up so fast! Unbelievable. I missed those little monsters. I also spent a lot of time with my friends. Not only Jody and Lucas though.

Today is the first day back in Austria were I decided to stay at home alone. I was kind of exhausted and wanted to lay in the yard, reading a book and not talking to anyone. I love my place. I still can't believe that I have my own house. I mean, I am 25 years old, I was always studying. Of course I worked and earned my own money. But I couldn't build a house with that. I was just a very lucky girl seven years ago.

When I became a mayor, my grandfather gave me a lottery ticket. Every grandchild got it to their 18th birthday. I remember rolling my eyes, because this present was not very impressive to me. Anyways, I put it in my wallet and totally forgot about it. Two weeks later one of my sisters started to talk about the guy who won the lottery but still didn't report. "That's so stupid! I would freak out and shout it out from the roof top!" she said. Everyone started laughing but the lottery ticket in my wallet came into my mind. I checked it later that evening and couldn't believe it. I won this huge amount of money! I started crying, almost having a panic attack. I didn't want it. I was just overwhelmed. The next days were terrible, I wasn't able to eat because I felt so much pressure, but I was so afraid to talk to anyone. Finally I crawled in my parents bed in the middle of the night and told them about it. They promised me to keep it as a secret and helped me organize everything. I didn't tell anyone else, not my sisters, not Jody or Lucas. Just my parents know about it. I was so afraid of fake friends and about myself for loosing ground. So I didn't spend a lot of the money. I donated a lot for charity. The rest is safe on my bank account. The only thing I bought myself was a little car and the apartment in Vienna. I told everyone that I rented it. Two years ago my parents gave my sisters a bankbook saying it was a gift from them because I wanted to give them something without knowing it is from me. Of course they also gave me a bankbook as false pretenses and I was able to build this beautiful house. I love it. My dad helped me to design it. It is kind of a modern country style. And I have no neighbors!  It is a bit hidden, surrounded from fields and forests. That's typical for the part of Austria I am from. Very peaceful, quiet and private. I missed it.