Keen disappointment

Justine

Eight messages on her voicemail, about 15 text messages, but she doesn't answer. What the hell happened last night?

It all started so wonderful, we had such a great time, just like always. There was so much laughter, it was a chilled atmosphere, we were enjoying each others company. It felt so good to tell her everything about Megan. I hoped that Demi would be happy for me, but the evening completely changed after I had told her about Megan. 

-  flashback -

J: "So it's your turn now! What is your big news?" Demi's face turned pale all of a sudden. She looked at me and for a second I was sure that her eyes lost those amazing sparkles. Her smile was gone and her breathing was heavy.

"Is everything ok? Are you sure that you are doing fine?", I asked her concerned. She checked her phone and excused herself to go to the bathroom. She left me in the living room and I tried to remember every detail of what I told her. What did I say that she reacted that way? Minutes later Demi came back and told me, that she had to leave. A friend called her and she needed to help him with something. I knew that she was lying to me, I asked her what happened, but she insisted that everything was alright. She said her good bye and didn't even hug me. Demi turned around before she closed the door behind her and it seemed like there were tears in her eyes.

- end flashback -

I am really worried at the moment, but it is late, maybe she can't answer me, because she is with this friend, although I still think she said that as pretense. I change into my pajamas and lay down on my bed. Finally I fall asleep, confused and with a strange feeling in my chest.

Marissa

I don't remember when, but after a long time Demi fell asleep last night. She slept fitfully though, rolled around a lot and sighed often. Poor girl! The last time I saw her like that was after she found out Wilmer cheated on her. She was so desperate, I don't really know how to help her.

I didn't sleep a lot this night and get up to make us breakfast. Demi comes into the kitchen and I open my arms to give her a hug. She is holding me tight and starts crying again. Silent sobs escape from her mouth and I feel her tears on my shoulder. We stand there for some minutes, I try my best to give her what she needs at the moment. I cup her face with my hands and dry her tears with my thumb. "You know what? We are going to talk about it again and maybe we find a solution for it. But first we are eating breakfast, ok?"  She gives me a forced smile and says "I am not hungry and I don't want to talk about it. I mean, I've told you everything. She doesn't love me the way I love her. Marissa, she is in love with this girl!" She sounds so disappointed. I grab Demi’s hand and we sit down at the table. "You are eating your toast! I won't discuss it with you! You know how important that is for your recovery. Eat it now Demi! I will not let you go, before you have finished. Do you understand?" I explain sternly. "Yes mom, I understand!" she answers and takes her first bite. 

I'm relieved to hear that. Although that is a difficult situation for her I will not let it influence her recovery. 

Demi

I'm sitting on Marissa’s couch, while she is cleaning up the kitchen and takes a shower. Everything is hurting me. I feel like my heart exploded yesterday and all those tiny pieces just smashed everything inside me. My head is full of thoughts and there are thousands of voices inside of me talking, no yelling, so that I can't understand a single word they are trying to say. But one voice is getting louder and clearer every second that passed. And I hoped I'd never hear this voice again. I thought I had chased it away forever, but somehow it came back to remind me of every single word Justine said to me yesterday.