Chapter Thirty Nine

I stare off at the sunset. It was almost night. I hear someone walk up to me. I turn around to see Mikasa. She doesn't look at me. "Look Eren, just please don't dedicate your whole soul to HER-". She goes silent. "Mikasa....are you-". Mikasa embraces me into a hug. I'm shocked, but then embrace her back. "Hey I'm sorry about before" I sigh. Mikasa hugs me tighter. I feel warm tears on my shoulder. I feel awkward. But then remember that she meant so much to me. I hear footsteps behind me. I let go of Mikasa to see Connie, Jean, and Annie. I freeze. Annie walks closer to me. I close my eyes. I didn't know what to say. "Eren..." she sighs. I open my eyes again. She brushes away a strip of blond hair. "Look Eren........I don't know if you still hate me...but the court decided to let me join one of the three branches again...and I could choose any so I-". "You joined the Military Police brigade?" I interrupt, slightly disappointed. She shakes her head and turns around. I gasp. Her jacket had...the wings of freedom crest. "You...joined the scout legion?" I gasp. She nods. "Because I wanted to be with you" she sighs guiltily. I feel terrible. She went through all the trouble .....being able to be in the MP again...and she wanted to be with ME. I step forward, fists gripped and shaking. Annie looks at me nervously. "Why did you do this...all for ME?". Annie puts her hand on my shoulder. "B-Be......because I care so much about you". My eyes widen. I couldn't believe what I heard. I squint to get rid of tears. Why was I so afraid to talk to her again? "FIGHT!" my mind screamed. "FIGHT!". I grab Annie's hand. She blushes like mad. I blink to hide tears. Why was I so afraid to talk to her during court?. She looks at me. I feel safe. Her beautiful crustal blue eyes shimmer. I look away, biting my lip. "I-I....-". I squeeze my eyes shut and pull her into a hug. I hear her gasp. Her body is shaking. Then I feel her hands tightly wrap around my waist. She buries her face into my shoulder. "EREN!" I let go of Annie and turn around. It's Sasha. She falls to her knees, gasping for breath. "Sasha, are you al-". She jumps up and grabs my shoulder. I gasp. "I-I-It's about Armin......he's missing".