01 [ 10 ]

☆ ☆ ☆

I slip on my suit and strap my weapons in, getting ready for the battle ahead. I take a couple of painkillers for my leg.

While pulling my hair up into a bun, I stop to look myself in the mirror. My reflection looks almost foreign to me.

Stark was right, a lot can change in five years.

I frown, staring at the eyes of my reflection. There was something off about them. I leaned in to take a closer look as a flash of purple colour my cornea. I shut my eyes, take deep breaths. It had to be my eyes playing tricks on me.

I slowly open my eyes, flinching away from the mirror as soon as I saw them. They were now no longer green but a shade of bright purple.

Panic rises in my chest. What's happening to me? Am I hallucinating? Is this because of the painkillers?

Dozens of questions fill my brain, ones I might not even be able to answer. One particular one gnaws at the back of my mind, could it be because of the sceptre?

A knock on the door pulls me back to reality, "W-who is it?" I stutter.

"It's me." I immediately recognise the voice.

"Just a minute!" I yell, before returning my attention to the situation at hand.

I took another glance in the mirror, my eyes were back as they were. I exhaled sharply, peeling my gaze away from the mirror and making my way over to the door.

I take a moment to collect myself before I open it.

Steve stands in the hallway, already geared up.

"Captain." I greet with a smile, all my worries vanishing away as soon as he smiles back.

"Are you okay?" He asks, his smile fading, "You look a little pale."

He lets out a huge sigh as soon as the words leave his mouth, shaking his head at himself.

"Not an ideal thing to say to a lady?" I guess.

He nods, letting out a laugh, "I never learn."

He stands awkwardly at the doorway, "May I?" He gestures at my room before I realise I haven't invited him in.

"Oh, yes. Of course." I open my door wider, "Come in."

He does, looking slightly nervous.

"What's wrong?" I ask, "Did something happen?"

"No. No, I just wanted to check on you. Make sure you're alright." He says, "How are you feeling?"

I swear he had a hint of a blush, making me smile.

I sigh, "Well, it's been a long day."

"It has." He agrees, taking a step towards me. "I'm sorry about what happened to you."

"I've made my peace with it." I say, "I guess in a way, it was what shaped me into the person I am today."