04 [ 12 ]

☆ ☆ ☆

CLINT

"Wow," I muttered, taking in my surroundings, "Under different circumstances, this would all be totally awesome."

The place was dark and quiet as we scaled the mountains. It didn't seem like there was anyone else around other than us.

"I bet the raccoon didn't have to climb a mountain." Nat sulks.

"Technically, he's not a raccoon, you know?" I point out.

Nat shrugs it off, "Whatever, he eats garbage."

"Welcome." A voice suddenly spoke.

Instinctively, Nat and I reached for our weapons, ready to take on whatever was in our path.

A tall figure loomed ahead of us, dressed in a flowy and frankly, creepy looking black cloak.

I'm taken aback by his appearance when he looks up. For a moment, I think I'm staring at 'he-who-must-not-be-named' painted red. I stifle a laugh, considering the situation, it probably wasn't a very good idea to laugh out loud.

Nat seems to know what I was thinking without me even having to say it, as she shoots me a glare.

"Natasha, Daughter of Ivan. Clint, Son of Edith." The figure spoke.

Nat and I glanced at each other and my comedic point of view was completely replaced by confusion.

"Who are you?" Nat asks wearily.

"Consider me a guide." The figure replies, "To you and all who seek the Soul Stone."

"Oh, good." Nat relaxes at that, "You tell us where it, then we'll be on our way."

The figure looks at us, its face stoic. "If only if were that easy."

A knot forms in my stomach at his words. Then, he gestures for us to follow him, leading us to the edge of the cliff.

"What you seek lies in front of you." He spoke again, "As does what you fear."

That sounds nice. I glance at Nat, who was peering over the edge down the steep drop.

"The Stone is down there." Nat mutters.

"For one of you." The Skull says, "For the other, in order to take the Stone, you must lose that which you love. An everlasting exchange. A soul, for a soul."

"You've got to be kidding me." I sighed shaking my head, "Soul for a soul? Sounds like cult activity to me."

"Clint." Nat scolds, shooting daggers at me with her eyes.

"If you're not willing to make the exchange, it simply proves that the Stone should not be given to you." The hooded figure speaks again, "The only way to retrieve the Stone is through a fair trade. A soul for the Stone, that's the way it is."

I glance over at Nat, who looked deep in thought.

"There's no way in hell." I say, drawing her attention.