02 [ Epilogue ]

☆ ☆ ☆

"This is amazing." Jemma Simmons stared in awe at my test results.

It's been almost a year since I've agreed to join Phil's team temporarily, but it's been so busy that Agent Simmons had only recently been able to run the tests I had promised to let her carry out.

"Your molecular structure is able to adapt to different energy frequencies and your ability to create these vacuums through dimensions is like nothing I've ever seen before. Don't even get me started on the Psionic forcefields. This is really incredibly remarkable, Agent Camille." She finally finishes.

Phil hums thoughtfully at that as he glances over at me, "I don't think Camille sees the appeal in it."

"I really don't." I state bluntly, "I've had a doctor run tests before, I could've told you what they discovered. Save you the hassle."

"Oh, no! Are you kidding?" Agent Simmons exclaims, "This is amazing. I'm really enjoying myself."

"Should I be concerned about what your team does for leisure?" I ask turning to Phil.

I let out a sigh as my eyes land on the television in the background. My heart sinks as I read the headlines, just before the news anchor starts to speak.

"Still no word on Steve Rogers after his public feud with Tony Stark and the Avengers over the controversial, Sokovia Accords-"

The woman on the screen is cut off as the screen goes blank.

"I was watching that." I fold my arms.

"I know you were." Phil says, "Whatever this is you're doing, you need to stop."

"That's precisely the point, Phil." I answer, "I can't because I wasn't even doing anything in the first place. The Avengers are in pieces and there's nothing I can do about it. Clint and Wanda are locked up in the Raft, I have no clue where Steve and Nat are, and here I am, hiding behind S.H.I.E.L.D."

Phil sigh, "Cam-"

"No way!" Phil is cut off by Leo Fitz budging into the room, our other teammates, Daisy and Mack following behind him. "You are not going to believe who's here."

"This is the most excited I've seen him in years." Daisy says, "Must be someone important."

"Who is it, Fitz?" Phil asks.

Before Fitz could answer the question, Agent May escorts a familiar figure into the room.

"Tony?" I jump out of my seat, rushing forward to give him a hug.

He looks as if he hasn't gotten any sleep in days, the bags under his eyes make that clear. On top of looking totally exhausted, he looks stressed out, so much so that grey strands of hair have started to show.

"It's good to see you, Cam." He greets, "I wish this meeting were under different circumstances, I really do."

"Me too," I offer him a comforting smile, "I heard about what happened with Rhodey. How is he?"

"He just got back from Columbia Medical. He's completely paralysed from the waist down." Tony replies.

"Oh god." I mutter, "Was there nothing they could do?"

Tony shook his head. I could almost see the guilt swallowing him whole as he does.

"I'm working on some leg braces that would hopefully help him walk again." He says, collecting himself.

"Well, if you need anything, we have a pair of agents here who could help. Fitz-Simmons, they're amazing. I'm sure they could come up with something." I gesture to the two, who offers Tony a wave.

"We'll be happy to be of assistance, Mr Stark." Simmons smiles.

"Thank you, I'll keep that in mind." He says, "Unfortunately, I'm not here to just catch up with you, Cam."

"Of course. What can I help you with?" I ask, leading him away from the crowd to talk.

He sighs, taking off the pair of sunglasses he was wearing. "I was hoping you knew where Steve was."

"Not a single soul knows where he is, Tony." I reply, "What makes you think I'd know?"

"Well, who else would he go to? He trusts you more than he trusts himself." Tony sighs, "His friend, that fugitive he's harbouring. He killed my parents, Cam. So, if he contacts you-"

"I'm sorry about what happened, Tony. I really am." I interrupt, placing a hand on his shoulder, "You know I'll never lie to you. But I won't betray our friend either. So, please. Don't ask me to."

Tony gazes at his feet, "He knew." He says, "He knew that man killed my parents. How could he have kept something like that from me?"

"He thought what he was doing was protecting you." I say, "It might not have been the right thing to have done and he's going to have to live with that but he had good intentions, Tony."

Silence falls between the both of us before he starts to speak, "You know why he didn't call you, right?" Tony says, "He said he didn't want you to have to choose a side. That it'll hurt you too much if you did."

He then pauses before he lets out a short laugh, "Remember when I didn't like you?"

"Like it was yesterday." I smile.

"Look at us now, Cam. You're the only part of the Avengers I have left." He says.

He reaches over to give my hand a squeeze, "I'm sorry."

I cock my head in confusion, "What for?"

"For signing the accords. I know how they affect you." He says.

I shake my head, "No need for apologies, I get why you did it. I can't be mad at you for that, Tony."

"You should be." He purses his lips together.

"Do you want me to be? Maybe when I sign the damn thing I will be." I joke, making him laugh.

"I should get going." He says, patting me on the back. "Take care, alright? And stay in touch?"

I nod with a smile, "I will. You take care of yourself, too. Say hi to Rhodes for me."

"I will." He mutters, "He'll be happy to hear from someone familiar."

I watch as he turns to leave, his shoulders slump over.

"Tony." I call just before he leaves, "Everything's going to be okay."

He nods, a grateful smile spreading across his face. "I'll see you around, Barney."

I let out a sigh at the reference to the purple dinosaur, shaking my head.

"That's the Tony I know." I mumble to myself, giving him one last wave goodbye.

"That was amazing." Fitz says as soon as he leaves, looking starstruck. "We just spoke to Tony Stark. He's nicer than I expected."

I chuckle at that, shaking my head. "He wasn't always this nice. Just ask Coulson, he'll tell you all about it."