04 [ 05 ]

☆ ☆ ☆

STEVE

I glance over at Nat who had the same sceptical look on her face as Scott scurries off to help himself to the food in the pantry.

"You think this is going to work?" She asks.

"I don't know." I admit, "It all sounds too good to be true."

I lean against the nearby desk, sighing heavily. "I just...I don't want to make the same mistake we made five years ago."

I sigh, looking up at her, "If this doesn't work, I don't know if I can handle knowing that we'll never get her back."

"What if it does work? We have to try." Nat says, "Steve, this is our chance to get everyone back. We can bring Cam home."

I sigh, feeling a migraine building up as I pinch the bridge of my nose.

"Steve..." Nat places a hand on my shoulder, determination in her eyes. "We have to."

I consider our options, weighing the pros and cons as quickly as I can in my head. Fear fills my chest at the thought that this might all be for nothing.

I could still remember the pain I felt when we discovered that Thanos had destroyed the stones. The realisation that we might never be able to get her back swallowed me whole and it hurt, every second of every day. It still does, but I got used to it and slowly the pain became bearable.

It took me so long to crawl my way out of that dark period of my life and now that I'm out, it scares me that there's a chance that I might find my way back there again.

But no amount of fear will ever manage to outweigh the need to have Camille back in my life.

"I'll drive." I say, grabbing my jacket before heading out the door.

We head to the garage after finding Scott in the kitchen, munching away at some leftover pizza which he didn't even bother heating up.

"Do you even know how to get there?" Nat asks as she hops into the passenger's seat.

I shrug, "We'll get there eventually."

Nat rolls her eyes, propping her feet up on the dashboard.

"You think he'll be up for this?" I ask.

"Hopefully." Nat answers, making herself comfortable in her seat for the long drive ahead.

The rest of the drive was silent, with Scott nodding off in the backseat and Nat staring out the window in her own world.

I reach into my pocket, pulling out the pictures I've always kept by my side and placed them beside the fuel gauge, where I could look at them.

A smile tugs at the corner of my lips as I observe her face, only for a strong sense of fear to hit me like someone had just punched me in the face. What if I end up forgetting what she looks like? Or what she sounds like?

"Eyes on the road." Nat's voice snaps me back, "It's not like your driving's all that good to begin with."

I shoot her a pointed look, "We're almost there."