04 [ 07 ]

☆ ☆ ☆

STEVE

"Breakers are set, emergency generators are on standby." I inform as I re-entered the room after finally convincing Bruce to help us.

I stop beside him, struggling to get used to his new look as a hybrid between Banner and the Hulk.

"Good." Bruce answers, "Cause if we blow the grid, I don't want to lose tiny here in the nineteen-fifties."

"Excuse me?" Scott immediately whips around to look at Bruce in a state of panic.

Nat and I immediately exchange a couple of glances, the panic evident in her eyes as well, although she tries to hide it.

"He's kidding." Nat quickly reassures, "You can't say things like that." She says trying to play it cool.

"It was a bad joke." Bruce shrugs.

Nat leans in as soon as Scott isn't looking anymore, "You were kidding, right?" She whispers.

"I have no idea." Bruce replies in panicked whispers, "We're talking about time travel here. Either it's all a joke, or none of it is."

He immediately shoots Scott a thumbs up as soon as he looks over, "We're good!" He exclaims with a big smile, "Get your helmet on, Scott. I'm going to send you back a week, let you walk around for an hour, then bring you back in ten seconds. Makes sense?"

"Perfectly not confusing." Scott replies, making me rethink my decisions to do this.

I shake the feeling, "Good luck, Scott. You got this." I reassure despite my doubts.

"You're right, I do, Captain America." Scott says, full of confidence. Man, I wish I had the same confidence he had.

Bruce pushed a button and before we knew it, Scott was sucked into the machine.

We waited for the time to pass, the ten seconds somehow managed to feel like ten hours.

"On the count of three."Bruce finally started to count down, "Three...Two...One!"

Bruce pushed the button again and Scott pops back out...Well, not exactly.

"Uh, guys? This doesn't feel right." The teenage boy who stood in the suit, spoke. I could only assume him to be Scott's younger self.

"What is this?" I turn to Bruce, any optimism that I've had now out the window.

"That-Who is that?" Nat asks with the same confusion as Bruce frantically pushes several other buttons.

"Hold on." Bruce replies, trying hard to hide his panic.

"Is that Scott?" Nat asks again.

"Yes, it's Scott!" The boy confirms my suspicions.

I let out a sigh, burying my face in my hands in frustration as Scott is sucked into the quantum tunnel once again, only to reappear as an elderly man this time.

"Ow! My back!" He exclaims, clutching his back.

"C'mon." I mutter, throwing my hands in the air.