02 [ 10 ]

☆ ☆ ☆

"I'll take Natasha and Clint." Steve announce as he straps his shield to his back.

"Alright, it's me and Cam, as planned." Tony replies, "Strictly recon. We'll hit the NEXUS and join you as soon as we can."

I suit up, strapping my quiver and bow to my back and my blades to my thighs, ready for a battle after we drop by the Internet hub.

"If Ultron is really building a body..." Steve trails off.

"He'll be more powerful than any of us. Maybe all of us." Tony continues his sentence, "An android designed by a robot."

"You know, I really miss the days when the weirdest thing science ever created was me." Steve states.

"I wouldn't sweat it, Cap. You're still pretty high up on that list in my opinion." I tease, hoping to break this awkward streak between us.

The corners of his lips quirk up into a smile. He looks like he wants to say something, but stays silent instead.

"I'll drop Banner off at the tower." Fury joined in, "Do you mind if I borrow Ms Hill?"

"She's all yours, apparently." Tony mutters, still not over the fact that Maria had called Fury, "What are you going to do?"

"I don't know." Fury shrugs, "Something dramatic, I hope."

With that, he heads out the door and Tony returns his attention to Steve who still has that same look on his face, like he has something on his mind.

Tony's eyes dart from Steve to me, then back again. Something seeming to have clicked for him.

"I'll wait for you outside." He says, before following behind Fury. "Don't take too long!" He yells back.

"I-um..." Steve takes a deep breath now that we're alone, "Be careful out there."

"It's just NEXUS. I doubt there'll be much action there. Can't say the same for where you're going, though." I joked.

He lets out a laugh before his expression turns serious again.

"We're okay, right?" He asks, his eyebrows knit closely together.

"We're still friends if that's what you're asking." I laugh, "It'll take more than this to get rid of me."

His lips twitch upwards in an attempt of a smile, but soon it's gone.

"I'm sorry." He apologises, "This is all so unfair to you."

"These are confusing times, Steve." I shrug, "And as I always say, life's never fair. I'm fine with that."

He finally manages a smile, "You should get going." He gestures to Tony, "Before he gets too cranky."

I nod in reply, "See you, Cap."

"Have you guys worked out your couple's spat yet?" Tony comments as soon as I walk out the door.

"Ha ha. Very funny, Tony." I roll my eyes, "We're not a couple.