01 [ 12 ]

☆ ☆ ☆

The Tesseract continued beaming into the sky. Countless more Chituari began to flood into our world through, the portal that was growing larger by the minute.

Several of them combust into flames as they crossed path with the red suit of armour.

Clint turns the jet around, as per Stark's instructions and makes a beeline through the high-rise buildings and towards the Stark Tower.

A flash of red zooms past and following behind him was a long line of Chitauri, just as Stark had promised.

Nat activates the machine gun and fires at the enemy, taking them down one after the other.

"Nat," Clint calls as he looks out his left window.

I follow his line of sight to see Loki and Thor engaged in a rough battle.

"I see him," Nat replies and with that, they bank the jet towards the Stark Tower.

But just before they get the chance to fire, Loki points the sceptre at us and fires a blast of energy right at us.

The jet goes spiralling out of control with only one wing left. Clint tries to manoeuvre the jet but it proves to be a challenge. He jerks the jet to the right in an unsuccessful attempt to avoid a building in our path that sends me stumbling back.

Steve grabs me just in time, holding tightly to his side as he hangs on to the railings on the roof of the jet.

"Hold on!" Clint yells over the chaos.

Steve's grip around me tightens as the jet slams into the streets resulting in us being violently thrown into the wall.

I groan, pushing myself up from the ground.

"You both alright?" Clint asks as he and Nat join us at the back.

"Just peachy, Clint." I say sarcastically.

"Great." Clint shoots me a thumbs up, "We still have a Chitauri army to deal with."

We exit through the ramp, stopping in the middle of a four-way street.

"We got to get back up there." Steve says.

Just as he does, a deep primal roar, filled with rage, bellows through the area. Our heads snapped up as dark shadow casts over us.

"You've got to be kidding me." I mutter to myself, my eyes wide.

A Leviathan floats past our heads. The three of them remain silent, but shifts uncomfortably. We're obviously way out of our element.

"Stark, are you seeing this?" Steve asks, pressing a finger to his Comms.

"Seeing. Still working on believing." Stark answers, "Where's Banner? Has he shown up yet?"

"Banner?" Steve furrows his brows, glancing confusingly at me.

"Just keep me posted." Stark says before the line goes quiet.

"Look out!" Clint yells, pulling Nat along with him as he dives behind an overturned cab.

Steve pulls me behind his shield as shots are being fired at us. I notch a couple of arrows, peeking out from behind the shield to return an attack causing two Chitauri soldiers go down as my arrow sinks into their heads.

We rush over to join Nat and Clint behind the cab as soon as the coast is clear.

"We've got civilians trapped up here." Clint informs as soon as we took cover.

A group of Chitauri soldiers fly past us and I catch a glimpse of a horned headpiece.

"Loki." I mutter.

He begins to fire in a chain of explosions, blowing up buildings and overturning vehicles, leaving people running for their lives below the bridge.

Steve looks over, "They're fish in a barrel down there."

A group of Chitauri soldiers land too close for comfort and Nat immediately pulls out her pistols and fire at them.

"We got this." Nat says, "It's good. Go. Take Cam with you."

"You think you can hold them off?" Steve asks.

"Captain," Clint turns to look at him, "It'll be my genuine pleasure."

He rises from his spot and shoots an arrow into the head of the creature closes to us.

"Oh, how dramatic." I tease as he returns to his spot.

"Just go already and try not to die, will ya?" He replies with a grin.

"You, too. Take care of each other for me." I say, turning to face Steve. "Lead the way, Cap."

Steve nods, the corners of his lips twitching upwards. He leaps off the bridge, skillfully landing on the bus beneath. I followed closely behind him as shots from the Chitauri army barely misses me.

The both of us land on the car in front of it and Steve jumps off first. However, just as my feet were about to lift off from the vehicle, the bus behind it explodes, leaving me right in the impact zone.

The blast spreads fast, surrounding me in an instant, but just as it does, it extinguishes as if it had just disappeared into my body.

I could feel the energy humming under my skin, but I was still not out of danger yet. The impact of the blast overturns the car I was standing on, sending me flying with it. I land hard on the ground, watching as the car is hurdled towards me.

I shut my eyes readying myself for the blow, when a loud crash sounds. My eyes shoot open and I see that encased in a purple sphere and the car was crashed, wrapped around the outside of it.

The force field disappears in a second as Steve rushes over to me.

"Camille!" He helps me to my feet, "Are you hurt?"

His eyes grow wide as they meet mine, "Your eyes."

I look down at my hands, purple sparks flashing every once in a while.

"I don't know what's happening to me." I mumble.

Worry fills his eyes, "We're going to figure this out, okay?" He cups my cheek, "But there are people who need us right now."

He's right. I nod, taking a breath to calm my nerves.

"Let's go." I shoot him a reassuring smile, "We've got lives to save."

"You never fail to amaze me." He chuckles before leading the way.