01 [ 15 ]

☆ ☆ ☆

I charge at the Chitauri army, taking them down one after another.

I drive my feet into the chest of what seems like the thousandth Chitauri, sending it flying into the over-turned car behind it before Steve's shield came flying into its torso, splitting it into half.

"I can close it!" Nat says, "Can anybody copy? I can shut the portal down."

The good news sounded like music to my ears.

"Do it!" Steve yells.

"No, wait!" Stark interrupts.

Steve and I exchanged an confused glance at each other.

"Stark, these things are still coming. We have to stop them." He reasons with Stark.

"I've got a nuke coming in. It's gonna blow in less than a minute." Stark informs, "And I know just where to put it."

"Stark, you know that's a one-way trip." Steve says, making my stomach fall.

"Save the rest for the turn, J," Stark says before his comms sign off.

We watched as a red armour follows the beam of light from the Tesseract up into space and disappears from sight.

Seconds felt like minutes as we waited for any kind of signal from Stark.

"Stark?" I asked into my comms,"Stark, are you there?" I grunted in frustration when I got nothing in reply.

Please be alive.

I stared at the portal, silently praying that Stark would reappear. I've never really been too fond of him, but I still didn't want him dead. He may be a cocky jerk sometimes and we didn't exactly start off on the right foot, but regardless of all that, he's a good man.

"Close it." Steve instructs.

A knot forms in my stomach as the words left his mouth, the realisation that he wasn't going to make it finally setting in.

I lowered my head, the Avengers would never be whole anymore.

"Son of a gun." Steve says under his breath, making my head snap up towards the sky.

I squinted my eyes, struggling to see the red suit of armour falling rapidly from above.

"He's not slowing down." Thor says as he starts to swing Mjölnir, ready to take off.

Just as he was about to do so, the Hulk flies across, snagging Stark as he passed him before they landed beside us.

We rush to his side, kneeling down beside him as Thor tore off the face piece from his helmet.

"Is he breathing?" Steve asks.

All of us fell silent as he lays still in the rubble, his eyes shut and with no apparent signs of life.

Out of nowhere, the Hulk lets out a roar in Stark's face.

"Oh, what the hell!" He jerks awake, "What just happened? Please tell me nobody kissed me."