02 [ 15 ]

☆ ☆ ☆

I yell in pain as the pipe is being yanked out of my body, but in the midst of all the pain, there is relief that the pipe has finally been removed.

The wound still stings, but it didn't hurt as much as it did before. I lean against the wall behind me for support, my legs feeling like jelly.

They immediately buckle under me as I push myself off in an attempt to stand on my own.

Steve catches me, his eyes were filled with worry and he looked a shade lighter than he was before. Was he afraid?

"Natasha." Steve calls as he spots a couple more bots appearing.

"I got it, you stay with her." She nods before rushing off to fight.

"You're losing too much blood." Steve says, turning his attention back to me.

"It's fine." I groan, leaning against him, "You said it yourself, got to walk it off, right?"

He stares me dead in the eyes, "You're not going to die."

"There are worse things that could happen." I shrug, meaning it as a joke but Steve seems to take it completely seriously.

"Maybe for you." He says.

Just then, a couple of fearful screams grab my attention. I peer over Steve's shoulder to see civilians running from one of Ultron's bots.

"Well, looks like it's time to get back to work, Cap." I will myself to stand on my own.

I stumble slightly at first but was eventually able to manage.

I draw my bow, shooting down the bots that we're going after the civilians before slumping over again, feeling like I've just ran a marathon.

Steve presses a finger to his Comms, "What have you got, Stark?" He asks.

"Well, nothing great." Tony replies, "Maybe a way to blow up the city. That'll keep it from impacting the surface if you guys can get clear."

"I asked for a solution, not an escape plan." Steve sighs.

"Impact radius is getting bigger every second. We're going to have to make a choice." Tony states.

"The portal," I look to Steve, "I could still try."

Steve's borrows furrow as he considers his options.

"It's worth a shot." Tony replies before Steve could weigh in with his opinion.

I grunt, standing up straighter, focusing all my energy on opening a portal. Sparks crackle in the empty space in front of me, but it disappears almost as it appears.

My shoulders fall as I sat down on an abandoned car, feeling as though I just got hit by a ton of bricks.

"Let me try again." I refused to give up.

"No. Save your energy." Nat says, rejoining us as she finishes off the last of the bots. "Cap, Cam's in no condition to portal anyone out of here. These people are going nowhere. If Stark finds a way to blow this rock-"