Chapter • 29 • Family Doesn't Hurt Family!

Tiny Party

I ran hard. My lungs hurt but that didn't stop me. I have to save them. I'm their only shot. Guilt and anxiety prickle at my insides. I wanted to curl up and cry. I wanted to but I couldn't. I had to keep going.

I finally reached an old house. I felt like I was living my dream. That scared me. It truly did. I felt little hedgehogs group around me. "Not yet." I say to them and they all seemed to understand.

I sneak inside. It was dark like before. A shiver went up and down my spine and not just from the cold. I see Him facing the back wall so his back is towards me. "Don't you dare hurt her!" I hear Flame scream at him. "If you even lay a finger on her, I'll make sure you'll burn in Tartarus!" He laughed at her empty threats like he knew she couldn't do any of those.

They must think that He has me. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing but I'll take it. But when I looked closely at the man, I gasped.

"Daniel?" I say out loud. Completely blowing my cover. He turned around and smiled as the others just looked at me wide eyes.

"Tiny!" Starfire said loudly.

Daniel chuckled. "I should've guess it was you Mara." I cringed at the look of his scar. It looked painful. I just stood there as he walked over to me. His brown eyes that used to be warm and welcoming, now look cold and evil. He grabbed me hands and dragged me to the others. Once there he stood behind me with is hands on my shoulders. I stared blankly at all four of them and they all stare back.

"Doesn't it hurt Flame." He started. I see her jaw clenched as if she wanted to kill him. "The feeling of betrayal." His grip on me, tighten but I just was there like a deer in headlights. "When someone you care for, turns out to be related to the enemy and spying on you to learn your weaknesses." That brought me back to reality.

"What are you talking about Danny, I haven't betrayed anyone." I shrug off his hold on me. He turned and crouch down to eye level with me. I tried to look him in the eyes but all I could see was the long scar down his left cheek.

"But don't you see Mara. Wave did this to me. She hurt me and now she has to face her karma." He said softly. I glanced at Wave. She looked everywhere but at me. This told that what he said was true and I couldn't believe it. I felt conflicted. I truly did.

"But Danny-"

"It's Duke."

"Danny."

"Duke."

"Daniel."

"Duke."

"Duke."

"Danny. Dang it." We both laugh slightly. But mine was more awkward then his genuine small cold one.

He looked up at me with a smile. "I hate you." He said playfully.

"I lo-" I choked. Something held me back from saying. Maybe it was the four pairs of eyes beside me, but I just couldn't say the rest. Danny-Duke whatever, shook his head slightly.

"Your supposed to say 'I love you too' and I was to reply 'I know you do.' So Mara how have you been?"

He stood and placed an arm gently on my back and lead towards the center of the room. I looked over my shoulder at the others, unsure what to think. "Stop playing games Daniel." I stopped in my tracks.