3 | 𝕡𝕚𝕥𝕔𝕙 𝕓𝕝𝕒𝕔𝕜 𝕖𝕪𝕖𝕤

chapter 3
___
"ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ᴀ ᴍɪʟʟɪᴏɴ ᴡᴀʏꜱ ᴛᴏ ʟᴏꜱᴇ ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴏɴᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴠᴇ."

___

Melanie

...Melanie

"What the hell do you want?" I ask the man behind me. He had surely come for me or had been sent to find me by my brother. "I'm not coming back. He'll hurt you all. I don't want people getting hurt again, all because of me." I need to lead Lucas away from my Pack. Tears sting the back of my eyes. A traitor tear slips down, which I swiftly brush away before the man can see. A sad whimper escapes my trembling lips and I tug the shirt further down, hoping to cover more. I don't like any of this. And to think, that just about thirty hours ago, my life had been normal.

"I want to help you." The guy, the soon-to-be Beta, of my Pack mutters, placing his hand on my shoulder. "I won't leave my best friend's sister all alone." His thumb continues to caress my shoulder, rubbing soft circles with his familiar hands. He's not only Jackson's friend, but mine too. I almost forgot about how I'd left them all back there. But I guess I can't run away from it all. I take a step back, away from the male.

Lucas.

Reality comes crashing back down on me. I pull further away from Michael and cross my arms over my chest as a sob escapes. Flashbacks of our childhood together with Jackson flood my mind and my sadness only increases. Goddess, this was all such a big, irritating mess. Michael just stares down at me with a frown, not understanding my turmoil.

Lucas.

I wipe away the rest of my tears and stand tall. "Did you bring clothes by any chance?" I question softly, a while later. I look around and see a pile sitting beside him, my lips curling up, I glance at his smiling face, his grey eyes boring into my green ones. "You know me too well."

I grab the underwear curled inside a pair of shorts and tank top, slipping them on behind a tree. I remember going around and hiding a bunch of my clothing around the Pack because I'd always forget to remove it before shifting. I hid half of my closet out here when I first turned, around fourteen. Hearing a loud and dangerous growl not far from where we were, I return to Mike and snatch his hand, urgently tugging him into the city with me.

It wasn't safe in these woods.

'Mate. I want him. Go back.' Celeste begs but I keep control and continue to hold her back despite the building migraine. She would only ruin my progress in escaping if I let her out. Despite her being a small, female wolf, she was usually able to overpower Michael's wolf when him, my brother, and I would train together. Without someone to hold her back from turning tail and running back to Lucas, I couldn't trust to let her out even though it'd be quicker to get around.

I don't think a wolf running around in the city would be all too pleasing either, I muse, as we near the center of downtown Chicago. We continue to silently walk together, contemplating our next moves. It had been three hours since I ran from my pack and I still hadn't been able to figure anything out. Even with Michael's help, I was incapable.