36 | 𝕡𝕒𝕤𝕥 𝕞𝕪 𝕝𝕚𝕡𝕤

chapter 36
___
ɢʀᴇᴀᴛᴇʀ ɪꜱ ʜᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ꜱᴜꜰꜰᴇʀꜱ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀɪɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄᴏᴍᴇꜱ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ꜱɪᴅᴇ ɪᴍᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ.

chapter 36___ɢʀᴇᴀᴛᴇʀ ɪꜱ ʜᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ꜱᴜꜰꜰᴇʀꜱ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀɪɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄᴏᴍᴇꜱ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ꜱɪᴅᴇ ɪᴍᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ

...Melanie

Everything had been in slow motion. The pain that I felt from the punches that left Lucas's body tainted with bruises and blood, and the ridicule that Caine used to make my mate stagger in the midst of his assault. However, nothing compared to the dread I felt at seeing that rock clasped in Caine's grimy hand. A scream lodged in my throat, unable to make its way past my lips that were open in shock. One word managed its way out of my mouth, and that had been a shaky "Lucas!" If I had kept my trap shut, maybe he wouldn't have spun his head to meet my gaze and he would have been able to stop the deafening blow to his head. For a moment, I felt like I lost everything as I quivered against the tree I was desperately clutching, to hold my frail body up.

I begged my heart to stop. To cease to beat. To stop the pain. To fall to pieces, and let me be. I whispered to myself that the pain will go away. The pain of seeing my mate falling at the hands of a sinister creature. I beg for him to open his eyes but he's too far gone and his wound too serious to leave him be. It's all my fault. Tears fill my eyes as I gasp for air. The pain's too much and I wasn't even the one who got hit. Is this what it feels like to be falling in love with someone? Waves of pain at their expense? A stuttering heart? I didn't even get to know Lucas properly yet but the truth behind his previous horrible actions had been revealed. Don't get me wrong, I still want an explanation but my mate had already found his way into my heart.  

Then the vacuum of sound abruptly stops and I fall to my knees, just as Lucas fell at Caine's feet. The hybrid meets my eyes, still bristling from his aching injuries, but before he could strike me too, Jeremy intercepts him. With a sharp jerk of the abominable man's head, his eyes lolls and he joins Lucas and I on the ground. Unfortunately, the snap of Caine's neck didn't kill him due to his body's sped up healing, but I know his time's coming. If not at my hands, then definitely at Lucas's hands. Why had Lucas hesitated when he had the chance, before though?

With a mind full of questions and a mate whose own head had been caved in and now gushed a crimson liquid, I crawl forward and sit beside Lucas's body. Gingerly picking his head up to carefully place it on my lap, I then tear off a large part of the oversized shirt I'm wearing and wrap it around his dented skull. The bleeding has to stop. Lucas has to live and he has to return to his usual self. To me. There can't be any brain damage. My eyes well with tears, and one by one, the fat droplets fall from my burning eyes.

'WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?' Celeste growls in the back of my mind. I hadn't even noticed her return but clearly our mate getting injured had brought her back to me. 'GET HIM UP. Mate needs a hospital or who knows what will happen to him. We both know despite the hours spent binging Grey's Anatomy, you're no Derek Shepherd!' Wiping my face on my sleeve, I almost let out a shaky laugh. I notice Lucas's people surrounding us on one knee with their heads bowed and their beaten enemies lying beside them, and Jeremy stands by my side.