24 | 𝕜𝕚𝕤𝕤 𝕞𝕖

chapter 24
___
ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ɪꜱ ᴀɴ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴏꜰ ꜱɪʟᴇɴᴄᴇ ʙᴇᴛᴡᴇᴇɴ ᴜꜱ... ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴅʀᴏᴡɴɪɴɢ ɪɴ ɪᴛ.

 ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴅʀᴏᴡɴɪɴɢ ɪɴ ɪᴛ

...Melanie

In the hour after the dinner, all of the information had come reeling back and had hit me like a truck. It was exhausting to say the least. Caine had walked me back to the bedroom I was being held captive in, and had tried to kiss me goodnight. I had turned my head as innocently as I could, disgusted with the fact that I had let this monster kiss me many times before. And something had to be done it all. I wasn't just about to stay here in Caine's dead brother's room like a sitting duck.

"I'm definitely going to leave," I murmur to myself, drifting into the closet to change into a pair of combat boots and lighter, easy-to-rip clothing in case I needed to shift. I snatch another pair from the hangers and tie them around my leg. Walking over to the window, I check to make sure if the coast is clear, then I double check to see if I had locked the room's door.

Why hadn't I tried this before? It seems too easy.

"It's time to do what I do best." I exhale, sliding open my exit and looking at how far the ground is from my location. It's a good fifty meters, maybe more. I sit on the window ledge and take a few deep breaths, praying I make it out of here alive. I really want to see my brother again, maybe even my mate.

'You couldn't run away from our mate last time.' Celeste reminds me, a hint of anticipation in her voice. 'What makes you think we can run from this horrid hybrid?'

It's worth a try, I bite back as I jump out of the high window and land, spread-eagled on the sloped roof of the floor below me. Wincing, I sit up only to start sliding so glancing down once more, I manage to hit another spire, except this time I land on my feet in a crouching position. When I finally hit the soft ground, I summersault to lessen the 20 feet blow before standing up onto my feet. I thank the Moon Goddess for my supernatural advantages otherwise I would never have been able to pull that off and survive.

"HEY!" A man hisses from across the non-tree-infested area. I recognize him as Blondie from before and I face-palm myself for being so stupid. Did I really think my escape would go undetected and he had no security or patrol in place? "Melanie! What the f*ck? He's going to kill us both!"

I gulp as I access my surroundings. Seeing the thick woods, I dart toward them, slipping beneath the cover of the trees. I hear Blondie's hushed voice fading away as I use my werewolf speed, blurry tree trunks flying past me. I wouldn't last long like this but I know I need more distance between myself and the damned, majestic castle concealing messed up people.

Never have I ever heard of something so horrifying as sacrificing your child to the God who had created a race, vampires, and hadn't allowed them to go out into the very thing they're known for. The Sun. These people were hybrids. Abominations. What about the Moon Goddess's laws and traditions? She demands the protection of her children. She encourages peace, not unnecessary bloodshed in a war for domination and power.